I hate to ask another jetting question, But!

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
I just bought a 1993 KDX, it has a strong midrange, but crackles and spits at idle to 1/4 throttle. Also it is all I can do to get it to idle. I need to turn the idle screw all the way in.

At the end of my second ride it seemed to be fouling the plug. I ended up pushing it about a hundred yards and coasting it home. I bought a new plug and decided it was time to jet it properly. It had a 42 slow and a 165 main with the clip at the top notch. I checked the reed valves and they are looking real good. No cracks or broken edges. They are real tight and look new. The bike has a new sleave and piston. It has good compression. It has an aftermarket pipe with an FMF silencer. I tried a 45 slow jet with air screw 2 turns out and it ran a little better on low end. I then tried a 170 main and fould the plug quick. I went back to the 165 main and dropped the click one notch from the top. I am now having trouble even keeping the bike running.

It has been a long day and any suggestions would be great. I am gonna battle with it agian tomarow. I need a game plan. HELP! :whiner:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Try needle clip in 2nd from the top position (stock needle) & that 165 main is most likely way too rich. Try a 155. Make positively sure the air filter is clean & the silencer is not plugged.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Hold the phone! Are we talking about a KDX200 or 250 here? tazkdx's starting point will put you in the ballpark for a 200 but will kill a 250. From the size of your main jet I'm thinking you have a 250, is that right?

David

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Oops!!! :eek: There I go assuming again. Hope you didn't do that!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
On a 250 I'd expect to see a pilot in the 50/52 range? Are you seeing a lean bog when you wick the throttle open?

How’s your silencer packing?

David

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…