I little help with my suspension.

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
I recently bought my 89 kdx 200, and it is my first bike. I have been riding for about 2 months, but it is time to replace the seals in the forks. I want to set the suspension up for my weight and trail riding, but I was also wondering if the 89-94 shocks are still a good all around shock or if I should/could swap them for a KX's suspension or something similar. If I should stick with the stockers, what springs/spring rates and what all pieces do I need to upgrade the stock one for my weight. Ofcourse I am doing the rear as well. I weigh 275 and I am 6'2". Thanks for your help.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The stock springs are .30 Kg/mm. Race Tech's spring rate calculator says you need .50 Kg/mm. The stiffest they sell for those forks are .46. That would be close enough for trail riding.

As far as swapping out, you may want to look into KX forks, clamps, wheel, axle and front brake system. Either way, you will need stiffer springs than either had stock. You won't get nearly as much benefit from trying to make a KX shock work. Getting it to fit is only some of the problem. Just skip it, is my advice. Get a proper stiffness spring (RT says 5.4), and have it inspected and the oil changed. If it has not been serviced regularly, count on it needing to be rebuilt. It is 20 years old.

Good luck.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
remember, front = forks and rear = shock. I think that's part of the confusion. Glad is talking about he rear shock, and I'm pretty sure you are asking about KX forks. 95+ KX forks would be an incredible upgrade from the stock KDX units, since they have full compression and rebound adjustment, have less deflection becuase they are USD's, and are just an all around better design. To do the swap though you would need a complete front end. Forks, triples, front wheel and front brakes.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Stiffer springs on both ends and Race Tech cartridge fork emulators will make a huge improvment for trail riding. The stock forks have too much high speed compression damping and too soft springs, so they can be harsh on rocks and roots, but way too soft on jumps and whoops.

I think 0.46 kg/mm springs will be fine for you in the forks.

I would be hesitant to spend big money on the '89, as it is your first bike and if you stick with the hobby, you may put that money toward a newer bike with superior suspension and more power. But for trail riding, a well set up '89 is a blast.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
i absolutely love my 89. it is a woods weapon for sure. endless torque, and enough top end to keep me grinning. im working in a set of yz250 forks now, and just finished a bottom end rebuild. i find the rear shock to be sufficient for trails....

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
julien_d said:
remember, front = forks and rear = shock. I think that's part of the confusion. Glad is talking about he rear shock, and I'm pretty sure you are asking about KX forks. 95+ KX forks would be an incredible upgrade from the stock KDX units, since they have full compression and rebound adjustment, have less deflection becuase they are USD's, and are just an all around better design. To do the swap though you would need a complete front end. Forks, triples, front wheel and front brakes.

what kx forks/front end should I look for?

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I wouldn't spend the time and effort required to installing more modern forks on a 20-year old bike.
Learn to ride the thing first. By the time you are experienced enough to make good decisions on suspension upgrades, you'll find yourself ready for a newer (maybe larger?) bike.

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
I don't see me buying a new bike for quite awhile. If I can find a good deal on a front end than I will swap everything, but right now it is looking like I am just going to stiffen up the KDX. What model KX forks would I need? (125? 250?)

frank23

Jun 10, 2009
I had problems with the standard fork setup serviced them properly and adjusted and they still behaved badly one or two bumps ok more thn that and they couldnt cope.steering was affected badly as well just couldnt predict were the front wheel was going to land---got fed up falling off--bought a used set of kx125 1990 complete front end [ better brake] fitted straight in no mods 100% better--frork is a little stiff for enduro but much better than standard.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I am split on this one yeah if you can find kx front end cheap ($100-$150) but think another $100 for the front springs and $100 for the rear springs..

for me $200 is nearly inpossible these days, let alone $350+ cause if you get a kx front you'll probably want new bars, grips, levers, and misc stuff.

I must side with Dirtbikedave and Mud's thinking, get it sprung for your wieght and RIDE RIDE RIDE then you'll know if you like being in the air or in the tight stuff.

Top Bottom