I need a bike!

gelrod80

Nov 20, 2007
1) your physical size? small 5'3" 130
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? scale 1\10 I'm a 5
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? woods
4) Do you have any riding experience? very little
5) Do you think you will race ? never
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke but no certain brand
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Honda
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? as little as possible.
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 27
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I'm just wanting a bike to get out and away from work and college for a while. I'm not a speed junkie so a fast bike isn't important to me. Are the cheap bikes on the internet worth riding for someone like myself. Oh yeah I also do alittle caving so getting around the mountain looking for other caves can be hard on foot. therefore I need a bike for that purpose. thanks for your time

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Admin Edit... please post this in the For Sale Forum.

Thank you
Ivan

Last edited by a moderator:

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
Do you need a license plate?

If not, any of the various playbikes will be awesome for you. Low maintenance, forgiving for a new rider, low seat height, soft suspension, e-start on most of them, cheap, etc. Specific recs:

Hondas:
XR-200 - available used for very little money and a great first dirt bike
XR-250 (might be a little tall for a first bike for someone your size)
CRF-150
CRF-230 (might be a little tall for a first bike for someone your size)

Yamaha
TTR-125L You might outgrow this quickly
TTR-230 Widely considered inferior to the CRF-230, but as a new rider, you will never notice the difference. If you find one for cheap, it will be fine. Note warning earlier about seat height - at your height and on a first bike, make sure you are realistic with yourself about how far away you are comfortable with the ground being
XT225 (07 and earlier) or XT250 (current model - more expensive) - If you need a plate, this is a great choice as a first bike.

Kawasaki
KDXD200 or 220 if you find a used one cheap and you are comfortable with the height
KLX 250 - if you need a plate and you are comfortable with the height
KLX 140L - this is its first year, so neither I nor anyone else has any experience with it, but its marketing materials show it as targeted to folks like you

Oh, and while I have no experience with them, I will parrot the opinion of others that the cheap China bikes are not worth it unless you are very mechanical and enjoy tinkering. Parts availability has been an issue for some who have bought them.

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I back the suggestion of either a CRF230F or an XR200. Both are decent heights and if the 230F seems a little tall, get the 150F. It might seem a little underpowered after you get used to it, but if you are just putting around on a scenic ride, you'll like it. The XR200 will probably be a little cheaper than the 230F.

With your height (and experience) I don't think you'd be comfortable on a 250.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…