mattmcphail

Nov 18, 2004
I need your help! You all are my only resource for good dirt bike info at this time. I'm getting a first bike and going it alone at the time so I appoligize if I've posted several "simple" questions. I posted a question about the KX forks on the KDX and that's looking good. The bike needs a new front sproket, no big deal 15 bucks or so. But it's on its original top end. I know this is a regular maintenance thing on two strokes. I'm decently mechanically inclined but have no exposure to dirt bikes. It's a 2000. Is it a concern that it's still the original top end? If not how much longer can I go on it? and, When it's time to re do it, I want to do it, how much time and money go into redoing the top end?
PS> I like this 2000 KDX 200 a lot, just want to be sure I'm making a good decision. It has almost new 773 tires, new FMF pipe and silencer, and the KX forks, for $1700. This is versus a '97 220 I looked at that is stock beyond an FMF pipefor $1500.
Thank you all so much for your help!
Matt

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Got a manual?
No way to tell about the top-end with doing a compression check. How old it is have very little to do with what shape it's in, rather hours of actual use.

Top ends on two strokes are a piece of cake. Can't tell ya the cost. Call a dealer for pricing. Just make sure you have a shop manual and a good tourque wrench.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Properly maintained and using synthetic two stroke oil a KDX will run forever for most people. Even heavy handed racers get 2 years. 4000 off road miles not unheard of. I am on my fourth KDX 200 and I have never had a top end off or opened up. I wish I got to ride more! What were the riding habits of the previous owner(s)? I would be more concerned about the swing arm and the linkage arms and bearings than the top end. Now you have another $0.02 opinion. Get one and ride! If you are just going to chug get the stock 220--to compete get the 200. Cheers John

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
If the bike (200) is in the shape you say it is in, I'd say it is a reasonably good deal. On course you'll find a better deal After you purchase it....I'm sorta in the same boat as you are in the fact that I picked up a used 01 KDX 200 a few weeks ago. The bike was entirely stock. Which mean I'll need to replace tires, sprockets, chain and a few more misc. parts. To me this is par for the course. Over the winter I will pull the jug off the bike to take a look inside. At the very least I'll get new rings and gaskets. I'd rather do this over the winter than prime spring/summer riding time.PLEASE buy a factory service manual. A KDX makes a great "first" bike. They are easy to ride and easy to hop up as your skills increase. Sure, they'll never be a KTM 200 EXC...but then again they never were meant to be..Search this site for all the info you'll ever need and welcome to the club.....

Top Bottom