I want to learn how to do a stoppie any good suggestions?

maniacmark

May 2, 2004
I am 20 years old, and I started writing when i was about 6 or 7 years old. Lately, I have been trying to do stoppies just for fun but i have had trouble trying to get the back wheel off of the ground. Any suggestions will be apperciated. THANKS.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Tip #1 - Try it on the grass a few times, it's a lot better place to land!

Just starting out, try it in first gear at a moderate speed. While sitting on the seat as far forward as you are comfortable, grab the clutch & front brake and unload the back end of the bike. Shift your weight forward over the bars a bit and hang onto the bars tight so they don't knife in on you. Small stoppies are easier than they look, the big ones are impressive for a good reason.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
zero_it said:
Small stoppies are easier than they look, the big ones are impressive for a good reason.

Yup the small ones will be easy...the first time you get overconfident and suddenly find yourself staring straight at the ground you'll pee yourself. It's not that they're difficult...you just gotta be totally comfortable with your skill and a little nutz to pull it off. As for technique I find if I get going faster than I should, sit way forward, and grab that front brake the back will whip nice and high with ease. After that I get smart(er) and slow down a bit and do little stoppies :p

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Just as it is easier to wheelie up a gentle hill, stoppies are easier when going down a gentle hill. Good traction is a must, otherwise the front end will wash out. Avoid gravel and soft sand when learning this trick. My longest stoppies have been on asphalt, but I wouldn't learn there. Sit as far forward as you can for the best traction on the front wheel and squeeze the bike hard between your knees. The farther forward you sit, the less the rear wheel has to come up to reach the balance point. Start out by going very slow and just trying to get the rear wheel off the ground. Always make sure you are going perfectly straight before hitting the brakes or you'll be sorry. Go a little faster each time building up slowly. Your balance will be better if you look ahead of your bike rather than focussing on the front fender. Don't be affraid to eject if you have to. It's better to jump off and trash your bike than it is to try to save it and have the bike pile-drive you into the ground.

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
At least you're smart enough to wear a helmet. I watched a friend screwing around in a parking lot face plant with no helmet on. I bet he doesn't make that mistake twice! :bang:

1966mustang

Jun 8, 2004
helmets are my best friends. I wrecked a three wheeler once and i usually wore a helmet but just got this one fixed and was test riding it well the test ride lasted about 1 hour 5 minutes riding the rest i dont know my sister found me laying in the yard next to a tree i still dont remember anything i had a concussion and so good splits on my face so yeah needless to say i always put a helmet on test ride or not.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
ugghhhh.... I have a hideous helmet story... watching a freind do something really risky without a helmet.... lets see....

lack of helmet not at fault injuries

broken collar bone- $300
cracked ribs- (wouldn't have gone to doctor if it weren't for other injuries)
internal bleeding- $1000
many scrapes and contusions- (wouldn't have gone to doctor if it weren't for other injuries)

lack of helmet at fault injuries-

cracked skull, both sides above ears- $5000
4 days in Neural Trauma center for observation- $5000
repeat visits for Neural and inner ear damage- $5000
permanently damaged hearing in both ears- PRICELESS

1966mustang

Jun 8, 2004
Sounds pretty sucky lol i would hate to be him. Dam you guys i read this post so i went out last night and tried to do one i got some good ones in then got a really good faceplant one in to lol it was fun but had my helmet on but no damage except sctrached my helmet dang it.

kickstartkx

Mod Ban
Jun 7, 2004
start for the first time in 1st gear then find grassy land and yank in on thee old lever (with the cluch in!!!) then go faster untill you flip it and there there you got it

Top Bottom