Jan 26, 2005
Well i have decided to get a dirt bike because well... i live in the middle of alaska and their is sooo many trails here but anyway...

Ok, i am 15 years old (male) 5'5" and 120 pounds. I have been looking at the 2005 yamaha TT-R125L and was wondering if that is any good? I am on a bugget (bout 2500) and that is the only bike i can really find that is within my cost restraints. Also is yamaha dirt bikes any good? We have a Yamaha Kodiak and it is pretty reliable (not very good for jumps though, lol)

also, 2 or 4 stroke? which one is better for trails? no motorcross.

ps, i never road a dirt bike before

pps i just went through a huge growth spurt so i shouldn't be growing to much. sorry for long post

thanks in advance!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
While the TT-R125 L is a great bike your already on the big side for it and I think you would get bored with it in a hurry. As you mentioned about your quad not being good for jumping the TT-R is not suitable for that task either unless you end up doing some serious mods to the bike. I would look for a used Honda XR250 or Kawasaki KDX200/220.

Jan 26, 2005
Sorry, this is probably a stupid question but what the heck.

Im assuming that the KTM 250sx wouldnt be good for trail riding would it? considering it's a motorcross bike. Thought i might ask sense its in the classifieds.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
The KTM250SX and any other 250 MX bike can be modified to be great trail bikes. Given the fact that you have no experience on a bike I think this would be way too much bike for you. Kind of like you started the day looking for a go-cart and now your looking at an F-1 racecar.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Either bike Chili suggested would be great for your proposed use. The XR would be easier to make "street legal" which would be cool in your part of the world and especially since you are close to license age and would require less maintenance plus has lees parts tacked on the bike like water pump, radiators etc.. to break when you dump it which might also be good if you venture in the Alaskan bush. Then again I could be a little biased.

Jan 26, 2005
lol the only problem about the xr250 is that i dont even think we have a honda dealer near here.(actually im pretty sure) I like the bike and all, but if i buy it used then i wont be able to take it in for repairs. And we do have a kawasaki dealer and yamaha dealer here but i have heard bad things about kawasaki (not sure if their legit or not).

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Based on the local dealers I would put my focus on a KDX then or possibly a WR250F. The KDX is relatively unchanged for several years and is a great Trail/Multi purpose machine.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you have a Kawi dealer then the KDX might be the way to go. Around this part of the world Honda dealers are much more prevalent. On the flip side unless you get a seriously abused XR I doubt you'd ever need a dealer LOL!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom