Idle Issue Quad vent 35mm on 91 KDX200

mr2by4

Oct 26, 2008
The weather just warmed back up enough to get out and play with the bike a little bit.
I installed my new PWK 35mm AS, FMF Fatty pipe and have a FMF silencer. I have removed my airbox snorkel.
The bike starts easily on the choke with the throttle cracked slightly, but runs very rich (lots of white smoke) on or off the choke and will not idle. Adjusting the air screw has no effect on idle.
The rich problem seems to mostly be at idle and up to about 1/4 throttle or so. Other than swapping in a leaner pilot what should I be looking at?
Thanks!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Nothing I've learned that no response from air screw means Idle jet is to big.

Also make sure your bike is fully heated up before you try anything, if you just start it up and try to ride right away it will seem very sluggish (rich). after 5 or 6 minutes of warming up it should get better.
Wasthis an R&B Carb?

mr2by4

Oct 26, 2008
I tried to get my carb rebuilt by Ron and then tried to order a carb from him but after sending him several different money orders, and having to wait and then hearing that I needed to get another MO, I got frustrated that I kept having to go to the bank and then wait to get money to him.
That man needs to get a CC account for Christmas. I know he is a small business, but I can take credit cards and I am not a business of any size! He has a website but is banking in the stone age.
This is a Sudco stock PWK 35mm AS. I figured I could have him mod it later if I wanted to and only be out the cost of shipping.

mr2by4

Oct 26, 2008
So should I just swap in my KDX jets? Use the guidelines off the FMF website?
A stock pwk 35 and stock PWK 35 quadvent/AS do not come jetted the same.
I tried to get some feedback on jetting a PWK AS prior to the install in this thread
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=168998
But got no helpful advice.
I will probably just use the FMF settings and see how they work.
They recommend a R1173N needle. Not sure how that compares to the 48dek that I have. I will have to search the board...

Top Bottom