Idle Problem

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
Hey guys, i know this forum is for dirt bikes, but everyone is really great on here. I have a non-dirtbike issue. The bike is a honda CL 175 that has a problem when idling. I start the bike runs great and then as soon as i touch the throttle the idle gets really high. If i shut it down and start it back up, its still really high. Not really sure what to do. Carbs were cleaned. One other thing, as some may know there are two exhaust pipes, one is nice a warm and feels normal. but the other one is cold. Not sure if this contributes to the problem but that doesn't seem right.

Thanks for any help, and sorry this isn't a dirtbike question but i thought i'd give it a shot.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Does this model have CV carbs?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
CV carbs have a big diaphragm housing at the top of the carb instead of a cable going through a screw on top like you are used to seeing.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
This was Hondas', dirt bike back in the day. That is a plain old keihn carb. The cylinder with the cold pipe is flooded/not firing. The high rev is leaning out, but 2 carbs, it could be 1 is stuck wfo? And it has 1 or 2 ignition points to set? Vintage Bob

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
Hey Vintage Bob. for the high rev leaning out part should i remove the jet and make sure nothing is stuck inside and reclean? or rejet completely? I'm not really sure what wfo means. and are you asking me if it have 1 or 2 ignition points to set?

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Carb cleaning, especially on an older neglected bikes, can be a real nightmare. I swear, barnacles start growing in some! Not only does the jet itself need to be spotless clean, but the passage that it screws into also. The carb body itself may come out okay after a through cleaning, but replacing worn and defective parts can be troublesome and expensive. A scratch on a jet orifice or a worn needle or slide can have horrible results come jetting time. More questions than answers? You have 2 carbs that will have different jetting needs. So do not be alarmed if the jetting turns out to be different. The carb cleaner in a gallon can for soaking parts, works better than any spray. If you leave aluminum parts in too long it pickles the metal! WFO means wide #%&%*$# open. And yes, I was curious if it has 2 points. They can mimic jetting issues. Just like a plugged air filter or silencer. You could have valve seating issues with the cylinder that has the cold pipe? Before jetting and cursing at the carb, there are some variables to check out first. Twice as many with your bike. If it runs better after cleaning, even just for a second, its likely the carb.

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
okay i will start with the carb, and thoroughly go through that first. The i'll check if theres spark at the cold cylinder. I will let you know what happens. Thanks alot for the suggestions.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…