Ignition ??

yortz

May 16, 2004
After getting my jetting somewhat close, on my last ride my bike developed a severe bogg just prior to 1/2 throttle. Then latting off the throttle and pulling in the clutch the bike dies. My buddy thought it might be an ignition problem. This is a new bike, could this be a KIPS valve issue? Scratching my head in Washignton State. :bang:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Describe that summore.

At 1/2 throttle as you transition from off-idle to WOT? Holding it at 1/2 throttle when the revs reach a certain point? WOT is good? The bike normally idles OK at any other time?

I'm asking if it's rpm related or throttle position related.

yortz

May 16, 2004
It seems that the bogg is perhaps 1/2 throttle in that immediately when the powerband starts the bogg begins. Upon letting off the gas at that time th ebike dies, but can be easily started. Tried a new plug, just dropped it off at the dealership. Thank you for your followup.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Let us know what/if they find anything.

I am nonplussed. You say 'perhaps 1/2 throttle', but reference the 'powerband'.

The powerband 'hit' of a two stroke is a response to a certain rpm, not a throttle position. It comes from KIPS activation, ignition timing changes at higher rpm and exhaust system resonance. Obviously you won't get to that point with the throttle just off idle but you surely can with most other throttle settings, depending on transmission gear, riding environs and such.

It's conceivable that a misadjusted pilot could give you such a bog if you're talking about a fairly quick wick from off-idle to 1/2 throttle.

Could be a spark box failure, too.

Let us know!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…