fbenz

Jan 25, 2006
Went riding yesterday with my kids (both on KDX's) and my daughters developed a very strange (to me) behavior.

Start with the basics - hers is a '98 200 - airbox cover removed and re-jetted accordingly. Bike has been running fine the last few rides and started out fine yesterday and then what happened is that the bike simply stalled out while she was running it. Started it up - let it idle - fine for about 20-30 seconds - then it surges... and then it dies (no amount of throttle will save it). Tried larger pilot and main and same issue.

Have it home now and plan to dive in, but thought I'd get advice from some of you out there.

From reading it sounds like I need to check the air filter, leakage to and from the carb, reeds/reed cage... any other thoughts or clues would be appreciated.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
sounds like maybe the float valve is sticking closed and running it out of fuel. that causes a "surge" as the bike gets in to a lean condition just before running out of fuel. While it's off, there's enough gas seeping into the bowl to start it and repeat the process again.

Just a possibility. You've got the right things in mind to check, but I'd give the carb a thorough cleaning as well.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
also check the vent lines, mine was behaving like that (starving for fuel) and died so on the trails side I pulled the hoses up from the swing arm area and rubbed them between my fingers to squeeze out the mud and dirt.

its a good idea to cut v notches in the ends of the hoses.

Top Bottom