Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Been racing well over a year & had planned on moving from beginner (D class) up to C / novice. Chickened out at the last minute and opted for the over 30 class. I ended up seizing rear wheel bearings and had a disappointing 1st moto finish, I did the 2nd moto on a borrowed bike and did even worse.
Next race was a Vet Championship race which I entered the over 30 "A" class but I don't count that. The only reason I entered was there were a lack of riders in the class so another & myself signed up to make the class. I did get a 2nd overall but there were only 3 in the class & 1st place lapped me. This brings it all up to this past weekend.

This weekend started as Tigger & I headed to the track Saturday night. We pulled in after dark and had a difficult time finding dry ground to park the RV. By 8pm I had a tooth-ache from hell but 11 yo Tigger mysteriously had ambosol with her, go figer..huh! By 8:30 we were in the sack and sawing logs till about 2am when I awoke in a sweat. I finally went back to sleep to awake about 7am, time to unload bikes. As I stood up I found myself dizzy and extremely light headed with a backache from hell, my tooth was okay now. There was no way I was missing this race because it was Tiggers 1st race except for DW and I was afraid if I didn't race then she wouldn't either. It was time for practice so I quickly stretched and hit the track. I was by far the slowest out there but I was able to hold a line. After only a couple of laps for practice I returned to the comfort of the RV. Tigger did her laps and came back also.

I began my racing days at this track so it's the local track for me. There are a lot of "younger adults," if you know what I'm saying, that will do anything for a trophy. I felt okay riding in the D class because I could get in front of most of them and felt safe enough. The C class scared the heck out of me so I really didn't want to ride that class ever. I signed up for the B class instead. I figured it's a smaller class, the riders are faster and more experienced. No danger of being landed on because I wouldn't be in front of anyone anyway.

The races were about to start, over an hour late and a larger turnout than normal for this time of year. Tigger was race 8 & I was race 13. (I'll let her do her on race report). The races started with the over 40 class that I sometimes ride. It was a little larger than normal with about 15 riders. I watched as the gate dropped and wondered why I didn't choose that class. Finally it was almost time for my staging. I hit the ground and did 20 push-ups trying to get the blood flowing and the dizziness to leave. It worked a little. When my gate dropped I found myself about mid-pack through the 1st turn and I kept on going. Over the next 2 jumps and around the next turn and I was still right there. After that turn it's a long stretch with a couple of "ski ramp" type jumps and still I was hanging in. As I approached the next turn I took an inside, much shorter line, and on to the camel hump where I was quickly passed by every rider on the track. I managed to stay up in the back for almost 2 laps before my hands cramped and arm-pump set in, I was fading fast!
2 laps to go and I came upon 2 downed riders that were already remounting as I passed. I held them off for the remaining laps for a 4th place finish.

After intermission and a raffle I was persuaded by one of the over 40 guys to race the 2nd moto with them so I figured might as well. I didn't get scored but finished 4th. That was the race I should have been in. :confused: My 2nd B moto was finally up, it was the longest day I've ever had racing. During intermission I had the chance to talk to Mennenga (SX rider) and ask how he seemed to stay on the gas all the way into and around the 1st turn without sliding out. Of coarse I knew the answer but no one else was doing it. I decided to let the other riders take off 1st and practice what Mennenga suggested. It didn't quite work as well when I tried but it was better than before. I almost caught up with the others by the straight but from there on out I was hopelessly in last place for the duration.

We packed up and came home about dark and I was feeling pretty bad. Hit the shower and then the bed to awake at 4am with my throat swollen shut. Went to the DR today and everything looks good, no medicine, simply a virus. I feel pretty good now, maybe all the exercise this weekend did me good. Can't wait till the next time, not sure what class I'll race but the over 40 is looking real good right now. I'd like to try the B class again but I need to improve drastically before I'll be competitive. It's all in fun! :thumb:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
sounds like you're having fun. i love racing. i miss it. someday, we'll race together in the over 40 class. :thumb:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
I wish I was old enough to race with you guys!

based on appearances, i don't think anyone would question it. :p

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by mx547
sounds like you're having fun. i love racing. i miss it. someday, we'll race together in the over 40 class. :thumb:
Jay, you'll still smoke me, even you ride still injured. At any rate, I welcome the opportunity to ride with you again.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
2 yrs and 7 months and im 40+ itll be an epic battle of the geriatrics!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom