tanman1990

Dec 27, 2008
Ok, so I'm 18 and haven't been on a bike in probably like 5 years. Recently I decided to get back into the sport, but have like no clue how to start. It would also be a plus if the bike can be riden my my 5'4 girlfriend(115 pounds) and other friends. she rides often. If not, maybe mention a second bike that would be better for her, and I might buy that too

1) 6'1 220 pounds
2) no sure how aggressive yet haha, been 5 years
3) trail riding, and field with friends. maybe small jumps and stuff
4) limited expierience
5) no racing
6) I will do what work I can, I do most of my jeep's work
7) 2 stroke and green sticker
8) buying used, I have a limited budget
9) under $1000
10) Do you live in California? yes
11) Your age? 18
12) reliability is good

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'd suggest finding an 02 or older 125 or an older KDX. I believe the green sticker laws for 2 strokes was 02 or older but maybe one of the California guys can confirm.

With your budget and the green sticker/2 stroke requirement your choices are very limited.

tanman1990

Dec 27, 2008
well i heard a kdx200 is a good choice, and its within my price range, but none are for sale. I really don't know the dif between 2 stroke and 4, but it must be greensticker. It can be an older bike if they are reliable

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
I think it is important to know the differance be tween a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke so I will explain.
A 2 stroke fires ever 2 cycles( not sure if that spelled right)IT NEEDS to have two cycle oil mixed into the gas, and creates twice the power of a 4 stroke of the same size/cc
2 strokes are lighter and easyer to work on but, they are harder to ride and they can be really hard to ride slow on.I would describe their power like a light switch, on or off not much inbetween.
4 strokes fire every 4 cycles and DO NOT require oil to be mixed into the gas. 4 strokes are heavier and a little harder to work on, but they are much easyer to ride and produce much smoother power.
If ou can it would be a good idea to ride both and see what you like best.

tanman1990

Dec 27, 2008
was going to, but my cousin just split the engine of his bike in half while he was riding. What 4 stroke would you recommend, and what 2 stroke? is the KDX-200 a good bike?

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
well for four srtoke I would recomend a Honda XR 250 or 400 or a kawasaki KLX 300
yes the KDX is a great bike! its easy to find parts for and its vary reliable. I really like it :)
For a two stroke I think the KDX would be a good bike for you.
but remember all the bikes I listed are NOT mototcross bikes so they wont be good for MX tracks.

be aware that alot the new four strokes (years 99-09) will require lots of regular maintnace(engine rebuilds) so be carfull if you buy one.
I know nothing about green sticker/red sticker so I cant help you there

tanman1990

Dec 27, 2008
ok, thanks, that helps alot. Reliability and low maintainence is a plus since I prefer to do my own work with help from cousins.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom