ziadel

Sep 27, 2002
So, I bought an old 88 Rm-125 (basically a basket bike, owner was in the middle of a complete tear-down and rebuild when he got a new job a few thousand miles away in the city)
So anyways, he gave it new crank bearings and a new top-end, and all new gaskets...

but I started putting stuff together, and there was an oil leak...

after several stripped screws, I have decided to replace all gaskets on the bike, and both seals on the crank...

but I am new to momocycle repair, would any of you recommend replacing anything else?

and the gaskets he put on were these (almost cardboard like) green things, and the OEM suzuki gasket I got for the water pump was this black rubberized stuff....

are the OEM gaskets superior?
is there anything I should remember when installing these gaskets so as not to mess them up?

thankyou very much in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:

ziadel

Sep 27, 2002
I got a price for a complete OEM gasket set from suzuki, 75 bucks, a litle pricey but its money well spent...

and besides that, I cant find gaskets for my bike on their website... (its too old)

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Check all the bearings in the cases. Especially the output shaft bearing, It can get a lot of shock from guys revving in air and landing with the everything spinning lots faster than the bike is moving. Also closely look at the shift forks and gears. You don't really want to split the cases and not check out all that stuff while youre there.

ziadel

Sep 27, 2002
How do you check the bearings exactly? Just spin them and see if they sing?

and how could I go about polishing the tranny parts?

I would like shifting to be as smoothe as possible....

Originally posted by zoommx
Check all the bearings in the cases. Especially the output shaft bearing, It can get a lot of shock from guys revving in air and landing with the everything spinning lots faster than the bike is moving. Also closely look at the shift forks and gears. You don't really want to split the cases and not check out all that stuff while youre there.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Don't know for sure if I do it right, but I just put a little pressure on race with finger and roll it around a little. Leave the bearings pressed in the case unless you know they're bad. I don't like to remove and reinstall the same bearing. Last time the output bearing was so bad, I could easily feel it was rough...kind of like it had tiny pieces of sand in it.

ziadel

Sep 27, 2002
well I am here pulling apart the engine and I discover the piston pin doesnt have any c-clips on it...

this is bad, that could have reallymessed up the engine..

Top Bottom