Important information!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Here's a scam a guy tried to pull, please forward this info to your significant others and anyone else you can think of! Sorry if it's long but it's worth it.

Elk

Please read this, a new twist on kidnapping, a very smart survivor

About a month ago there was a woman standing by the mall entrance passing out flyers to all the women going in.

The woman had written the flyer herself to tell about an experience she had, so that she might warn other women.

The previous day, this woman had finished shopping, went out to her car and discovered that she had a flat. She got the jack out of the trunk and began to change the flat. A nice man dressed in business suit and carrying a briefcase walked up to her and said, "I noticed you're changing a flat tire. Would you like me to take care of it for you?" The woman was grateful for his offer and accepted his help.

They chatted amiably while the man changed the flat, and then put the flat tire and the jack in the trunk, shut it and dusted his hands off. The woman thanked him profusely, and as she was about to get in her car, the man told her that he left his car around on the other side of the mall, and asked if she would mind giving him a lift to his car. She was a little surprised and she asked him why his car was on other side. He explained that he had seen an old friend in the mall that he hadn't seen for some time and they had a bite to eat and visited for a while; he got turned around in the mall and left through the wrong exit, and now he was running late and his car was clear around on the other side of the mall.

The woman hated to tell him "no" because he had just rescued her from having to change her flat tire all by herself, but she felt uneasy. Then she remembered seeing the man put his briefcase in her trunk before shutting it and before he asked her for a ride to his car.

She told him that she'd be happy to drive him around to his car, but she just remembered one last thing she needed to buy. She said she would only be a few minutes; he could sit down in her car and wait for her; she would be as quick as she could be.

She hurried into the mall, and told a security guard what had happened; the guard came out to her car with her, but the man had left. They opened the trunk, took out his locked briefcase and took it down to the police station.

The police opened it (ostensibly to look for ID so they could return it to the man). What they found was rope, duct tape, and knives. When the police checked her "flat" tire, there was nothing wrong with it; the air had simply been let out.

It was obvious what the man's intention was, and obvious that he had carefully thought it out in advance. The woman was blessed to have escaped harm. How much worse it would have been if she had children with her and had them wait in the car while the man fixed the tire, or if she had a baby strapped into a car seat. Or if she'd gone against her judgment and given him a lift.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Pretty scarry. :eek:

This kind of thing really hurts "normal" folk who really want to help people out.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I certainly don't mean to downplay the potential seriousness of an incident like this, but the story is too eerily similar to the "urban legends" that I've seen go around.

Oops, here it is, almost verbatim: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa072998.htm

Not to say that it couldn't happen, but maybe we can keep things in perspective.
:)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Thought I had read that before, thanks for the thought though Elk!

Scary part is that so many people could allow themselves to actually be in that situation for real. Everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings and alert to anything that seems strange.

Even as unintimidated as I usually am, I'm more than willing to get outa someplace if I have a bad feeling about something.

The story also points out one overlooked skill many drivers - especially younger ones and women are lacking - changing your own tire. It is better to be taught how to do it and never need to than to need to do it and not have a clue.

My dad taught me how to change a tire when I first started driving. After 8 years of working construction in many out of they way projects around the SW I had ample opportunities to perfect my skill (stupid cactus and nails).

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Good point bbbom. I would be one of those clueless individuals when it comes to changing a tire. Even though I think I could figure it out, I think I'll hit ol' TTRGuy up for a lesson in tire changing 101. :)
Being as self sufficient as possible could save you from being prayed upon by messed up people.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I can't change a tyre as I can not get them nuts undone. I stand & jump on the cross thingy all to no avail. This isn't just after having new tyres put on (i.e. having the nuts done up by a ratchet gun). Other than that, I'm fine, it's not exactly hard.

Anyone know of any handtool I could put in the back of the car to undo the nuts? Hmm, maybe I should try a breaker bar & socket (don't think I've tried that yet). Luckily the times I've needed to change a tyre I've had dad or my husband around.
Michelle

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I guess you could put your Dad or your hubby in the trunk, right next to the tire so's you won't forget to use them! :)
Elk

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Michelle, that is exactly what you need. A short piece of steel pipe that will slide over the breaker bar for extra leverage is also a good idea. Both of these tools are formidable weapons if the need arises.

Hugebear

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 18, 2000
Michelle, you could carry a pipe, maybe about 3 feet long and about an inch in diameter. Slip the pipe over the end of the lug wrench and you'll quadruple your leverage. Also, don't jack the car all the way up before you loosen the lug nuts, leave the tire touching the ground a little so the wheel won't turn.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Here you go Michelle - it's called an Ez-Lug

http://www.browsermall.com/ezlug/

I just found it after typing in lug nut removal for the search. Don't know if it works or not, I subscribe to the old jump on the handle technique myself but I have a little more weight to throw on it (even though I am petite and dainty) so I figured I'd see what was available.

Some tips from my tire changing days:

Keep some wood blocking and a piece of matting or carpet in the vehicle. Wood blocks can be used to chock your wheels and to block the jack up if you run out of throw before you get the vehicle jacked up enough for the new tire to be put on. The carpet helps to give the blocking or jack a better base if you are on a soft surface (sand stinks for tire changing). Also gives you a place to lay without getting filthy or scorching your hide on the asphalt on a nice Phoenix afternoon. Waterless hand cleaner is a must too.

Like Hugebear said, bust the nuts :eek: loose before you jack the vehicle up. Always make sure you are LOOSENING the nuts and not TIGHTENING them (righty tighty, lefty loosey). Done THAT before, even the diesel mechanic gave up & got the air wrench out on THAT one (thank goodness my company radio worked that time).

Be sure to use the Star Pattern for tightening the nuts up after you get the spare on not in a circlel. Don't worry about torqueing them down tight until you've lowered the vehicle.

I always put my old tire in the vehicle before putting the spare on keeps me from leaving the old tire by the side of the road.

GSR - be sure TTR shows you where the best jacking point is on each wheel. My dad actually marked it on my vehicle when I was a youngster.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
You could also try this product from Harbor Freight;

12 volt impact wrench. I've got one. It comes in it's own case and has a couple of the most popular socket sizes included.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Thanks LoriKTM

Yes, sad but true, but nothing more than another rban legend.

But, it always pays to be safe......

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…