increasing steering lock?

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Hi - just a speculative question. If you were to grind back the stops on the lower triple clamp to increase the steering lock (say by 2/3mm each side) would there be a negative effects on the bike's geometry? Thanks for any advice.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
2-3mm is a lot. Try it at smaller increments first, you can always do more. ;)

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Thanks. DB, I have a mx based 125 that has a limited lock. It's agile enough when moving under power but I wanted to make it easier to u turn on trails and pick lines through nadgery. It's just a theoretical question - I don't think I'll take the grinder to ity just yet. Maybe I'll save up for a trials bike first...

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I wouldn't think turning the bars anymore would help compensate for an improper set up. My guess is that it would make the feeling of washing out or knifing only worse since the wheel is cranked over more.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Some bikes will benefit from additional steering lock in the tight woods. I ground down the stop on my old KDX250 quite a bit - that bike needed it. I removed material from both sides of the tab on the steering head and repainted it afterwards.

The thing to watch out for is the fork tubes hitting the gas tank at full lock. If you grind down the stop too far, it would be possible for the forks to knock the tank loose in a crash. Other than that, I can't think of any adverse effects.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…