Inexpensive Wireless Helmet Cam????

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I stumbled across this because of a hobby my son and I got into. Found it on an RC Plane site (in a round about way) and realized that it would make one hell of a helmet cam (as well as other uses). It's a 1.2Ghz platform. Cost was $35 delivered from Hong Kong. It pushes a signal out at 200mw and I've seen varied estimates on distance of signal strength.... 500 to 1000 feet. They make 800mw units that have more components (read weight but will kick out to 2000 feet) and I didn't dive into it because I wanted this to work on an RC plane as well as a helmet cam. Weight reduction is hugely important on these flying toys....

I was really surprised at the size of the camera when it came in. I had only seen pictures of it on a website with nothing to really measure/compare it against to understand it's true size. I figured that given the cheap price, if it was a POS or if I destroyed it with the bike or plane.... no big deal... no big loss.

I played with it around the house this afternoon and I'm impressed thus far. This is a color wireless video camera with sound. Walls in the house caused it to lose signal somewhat (intermittent) but all in all it did well. I'm going to hook it into my laptop on Sunday (when the snow is gone) and test it's distance (on flat ground). This could be a really cool way to get track footage. Also... I can't wait to put a plane up over DW04 and really show how big an event it is! A picture on the ground just doesn't do it justice..... there is SO much lost on a shot from ground level! :)

Attached are shots of the camera and receiver. I'll do full review in the products review forum once I've had a chance to test it fully. :thumb:

Attachments

• trancam.jpg
    trancam.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 57
  • rec.jpg
    rec.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 50

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Wow Twin. Switch hands. That one is super calloused. :)

Fruitcake.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Milk said:
Wow Twin. Switch hands. That one is super calloused. :)

Fruitcake.

I'm right handed DORK! My left hand is useless for anything other than holding onto the bars and squeezing the clutch with two fingers.

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
Where did you find it for $35? I was planning to get one for my 1/10 scale gas truck, but the best I could find one for was about $80, and that was after alot of searching. How many lines of resolution does it have?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'd like to get one of these if it is half as good as an expensive one.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I found it at http://www.inesun.com

A couple of people have used them on RC planes and were pleased with them. These are not ultra quality units but they do a pretty good job for the price.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Your hands are girly. I think your idea of mounting it on the back of your helmet won't do any good, there be no one there. :moon: Cept of course to help in the helmet slap you'll get whence lapped.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Carlos, hes puttin' that Cam on a paper airplane. He called me yesterday though, and we discussed another use for it. He might put it on his Dodge pick-up and call it the Ram Cam. We will have to wait and see. :moon:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I have a friend that uses a wired one attacthed to the mouth peice in his helmet. He runs a wire to a video recorder he carries in a back pack and the footage has been exceptional so far with no drop out. I priced a spy cam, the kind he uses, from a local gizmu shop here for about $40. I'll get one as soon as I get a new cam corder, my old one went swimming.

Top Bottom