firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I am looking to buy a 97 KTM 360 exc from a guy at work. I have'nt ridden in about 7 years and my last bike was a '86 CR 500. I am 5'10" and 200 lbs. I will ride on a small track on 1 acre that I made for my kids, and will do some woods riding with friends. Does this bike fit the bio? Does the '97 have the same jetting problems as the '96? I rode for 12 years before I sold the CR. Mostly woods. Looking for a reliable bike I can putt around on with the kids, and still go to the woods and get on it with my friends.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Great suspension, not sure if the jetting issues were resolved in 97 , recall that they were hard to start.

If the bike is under 2K I think you could work out the issues.

I have a friend with that bike and he struggled for years with what he thought were jetting issues turned out to be a weak ignition, so make sure you check that out first

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If it has the stock exhaust change it out before you do anything else. Then work on getting it jetted correctly and your life will be easier. The ignitions were a weak spot and are expensive to replace. I sent mine off with Eric Gorr when I blew a crank seal at DW '01and asked him to make it a "3-stroke". It was AWESOME when it came back!!! The fork on my '96 seemed a bit soft but after letting MX Tech go through them it was like riding a cloud over the rough stuff! Fun bikes that can run scary fast if you let them.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
97 came w/ the new, improved Kokusan ignition. I REALLY enjoyed the 360. A bunch of guys were cutting the slides to lean them out. The 50mm Marzocchis were awesome trail forks. They also had an Ohlins shock, really good componentry. FMF made a nice pipe for the KTM's, I used the Gnarly on my 250, my riding/racing bud used one on his 360 as well. Fast, fun bike to ride.

Frames were built to last, very heavy duty and very heavy. That was the only drawback to the 97's, very heavy. In fact, on the scale w/ 2 gal of fuel if I remember correctly, it weighed almost 275lbs.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks for the info. I definitely want something reliable and has the right combination of putting around with the kids and can go for it with the guys.

Top Bottom