NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Well, New Mexico is a huge and very diverse state. You can ride desert down by Las Cruces to the tightest woods you could ever want up in the Taos area. Just depends on where you're going to move. Me, I live in the very far NE corner (No, not Farmington, that's NW) and I have a lot of trouble finding riding buddies, so I tend to go places where there's other people riding rather than go exploring deep woods. I would sure LIKE to do the woods thing, but it's a 3 hr drive, minimum. In that same 3 hrs, I can go to the Canadian River just north of Amarillo and ride desert-type stuff, or I can go north to Pueblo CO. Where I'm at is very open grasslands and the riding is not extremely exciting, although I'm not complaining- I CAN go riding, at least. But to do anything different is a 3-hr drive.

Now, if you were in the more central part of the state, it would be different. From Albuq, it's easy to do desert stuff just outside town, MX in Moriarty, or woods up in the Los Alamos area, all easily w/in 2 hours, most w/in 1 hour.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
NM_KDX200 summed it up pretty well, Let us know where your headed and we'll try and be more specific. YZ165 :cool:

P455

Nov 16, 2003
The Lincoln National Forest has hundreds of miles of trails tailor-made for the KDX. My son and I camped there this past summer and rode every day sunup to sundown. The trails range from easy to insane.

Here's a link with all the trails listed and rated:
http://www.artesianews.com/Lincoln/lincoln.htm

The neighboring town, Cloudcroft, is very dirt-bike-friendly and the people are great.

The park is very mountainous and ranges in elevation from 9,000 to 11,000 feet, you will have to rejet about 10% leaner if you're not set up for high altitude. I think I ran a 148 mainjet vs the 155 I usually run.

louis

Sep 2, 2002
P455, thanks for the info about the Cloudcroft area. I have been there before but not off road.

YZ165, can you tell me anything about the Los Alamos area? Thanks

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Hmmmm....

Well, I've ridden in the Dome wilderness. That is directly south of Los Alamos. It's the mother-load of singletrack woods riding if that's what your looking for.

You can also ride just north of Los Alamos. A friend took me to a small MX track up in the woods about two years ago. There were trails all over but I didn't ride many of them that day. I'm sure with a little research you could find plenty of places to ride there. Los Alamos is in the middle of a huge wilderness area so there are plenty of riding/off-roading/rock-crawling/mountain-biking people around. Good luck and have fun! YZ165

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Anytime your ready! Let me know!

Keep your eyes open for VintageDirt and BEEF706, they're both from Abq. and will prolly join us.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Sounds good.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom