Insulating trailer walls ? ? ?

Vegas 250 F

May 14, 2001
I have a 7 x 16 trailer and am wondering about insulating the side walls. I assume there is no insulkation between the interior plywood and the exterior skin. I thought about the spray in expanding foam . . . Has anyone tried this? What about pulling the plywood off and using regular insulation? Ay ideas for insulating the roof? We are installing a generator and an A/C unit so I would like to get it insulated as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any possible help you guys can offer.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Any insulation is better than none, but the problem with Batt insulation is that to get the full R-value it needs to be fully extended which is about 4",you may only have 2x2 furring on youe trailer wall.

So with that thought behind me, you might get a better/Higher R-value with foam, I now we can get an R-value of 19 with batt insulation in a 2x6 wall and get has high as R-32 with foam in the same stud size.

Last edited:

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
How about that 1 or 2 inch thick blue foam board they use on houses? Seems likethat might be a good compromise. Although i'm not sure of the r value.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
You could try the blow in insulation.
That way you won't have to remove the plywood panels.

bake

Sep 20, 2001
The blue house type foam is about R5 per inch (and won't get ruined with water like fiberglass and blown in will) The expapanding foam will work but I think it will be way more effort and a lower R value.

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Use the white or blue board type foam. The fiberglass bats or blow in insulation will eventually pack down to the bottom from the pounding and shaking of going down the highway.

Toolman

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
They also have a Home Depot product that is just the bubble wrap made out of a reflective/metallic material. It is supposed to reflect the heat and offer some insulating value. Maybe if you have a hal-an-inch left over after putting in the foam boards you can give it a try. Cheap and sold in big rolls.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by HGilliam
. The fiberglass bats or blow in insulation will eventually pack down to the bottom from the pounding and shaking of going down the highway.

Good point. I never would have thought of that happening. ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…