Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Done deal! The MIC, 'Motorcycle Industry Council' will be forming a Superbike series for next year. No club racing rules.

This just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This will be really fun to watch. ;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Should be interesting Rich.

This is all a battle of egos. Some of it dates back to when Edmonson was with the AMA. People have had their feeling hurt and their egos bruised and now they don't want to play. This has left the careers of many people in the industry hanging in the lurch. Truly a sad state of affairs.

It should be clear to Edmonson that nobody wants a dictatorship. We already had a dictatorship with the AMA and look what happened with that. :| And, if this is not clear to him by now, he's dumber than a box of rocks. Also, very few true motorcycle racing enthusiast are interested in watching a Nascar parade with dumbed-down motorcycles.

I really hope the MIC can pull it off.

I just hope it doesn't turn into another Indy/IRL deal.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Ol'89r said:
Should be interesting Rich.

This is all a battle of egos. Some of it dates back to when Edmonson was with the AMA. People have had their feeling hurt and their egos bruised and now they don't want to play. This has left the careers of many people in the industry hanging in the lurch. Truly a sad state of affairs.

It should be clear to Edmonson that nobody wants a dictatorship. We already had a dictatorship with the AMA and look what happened with that. :| And, if this is not clear to him by now, he's dumber than a box of rocks. Also, very few true motorcycle racing enthusiast are interested in watching a Nascar parade with dumbed-down motorcycles.

I really hope the MIC can pull it off.

I just hope it doesn't turn into another Indy/IRL deal.

"Silly Season" is a bit of an understatement for what is going on now, isn't it? More like "unbelievable," I'd say.

For a smart guy, Roger E. sure does some stupid stuff! I'm sure he has his reasons, but he sure has let his ego write some 'bad checks,' IMHO.

By the way, however, I offer my condolences to him for the loss of his mother yesterday.

These are some strange times we are experiencing. AMA Pro Racing sold to R.E. & Jim France; Roy Jansen leaving Live Nation to join them. Mike Kidd brought on board to run 'AMA Dirt Track.' MX track owners getting to run the outdoors Nationals, with Feld Entertainment Motor Sports acquiring L. N. & it's "leased rights" (?) to S.X., (I'm still not clear who currently 'owns' the rights to SX, at this point.) And now the M.I.C. starts it's own R.R. series.

I am also unclear exactly where AMA Hillclimb and all of the various other off-road series fit into all of this, either.

I also much prefer the U.S. distributer's 'old school' vision of racing, to that of R.E. and J.F.'s 'entertainment' based ideas of what racing should be. I'd be concerned that these 'formulas' would be eventually spread and implemented to all of the racing disciplines that they now own, if they were to succeed in professional M/C roadracing. I guess I just have a basic dislike of the idea of artificially restrcting horespower, in any way. Never have liked the idea of restrictor plates, in any racing format, either.

As my friend Chip P. says: "When the going get weird, the weird turn Pro."

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
SpDyKen said:
I also much prefer the U.S. distributer's 'old school' vision of racing, to that of R.E. and J.F.'s 'entertainment' based ideas of what racing should be.

Same here. If Edmondson had been around 30 years ago real racing history would never have been made.

Attachments

• chr1.jpg
    chr1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 141
  • chr2.jpg
    chr2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 147

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Seems to me the Coombs family could be partially to blame with the success of their GNCC series, and WORCS coming on it's heels.

And the NASCAR bunch getting into it like Spidey Ken says . . .

I do have a feeling we're going to move more toward "entertainment", but I hope for the best.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
biglou said:
I commend Pred for not taking this thread on an "Old School" tangent from the restrictor plate comment.
I commend Pred for......

Well, discretion tells me I better not detour this thread yet.

Tangents do intrigue me, though.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
biglou said:
I commend Pred for not taking this thread on an "Old School" tangent from the restrictor plate comment.
It took herculean restraint. And it's not exactly street legal, but let's keep that on the down low.

Hey Mike.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
You know I was thinking we could go back home . . . have some dinner and pop in the Sisqo CD . . . no? Weren't thinking that? Ok.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Same here. If Edmondson had been around 30 years ago real racing history would never have been made.

I'll see your Cook Nielsen, and raise you a '76 Pridmore and McLaughlin.

Or how about Mike Baldwin on the Guzzi?

Superbikes sure were fun before they got to be big business. Kind of like motocross...

I used to love reading the articles in Cycle about the old Superbike series, including in depth details about what made Nielsen's Ducati tick.

Attachments

• Pridmore.jpg
    Pridmore.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 97

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Dave - I was re-reading (for the 500th time) the Beyond Racer Road series just the other night. Very cool stuff.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I really wish I'd kept all my old magazines. Phil Schilling's articles on what it took to make the Duc tick were great.

The period of about 1975 - 1978 was the Golden Age for American monthly motorcycle magazines, IMO. The bikes were evolving rapidly and the writers were enthusiastic. Good times.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom