bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Irish,
I will not pile-on and I post in here out of the general public forums out of courtesy to you. You should take heed in the advice that has been given in the other threads. It is dead on. Since you are pursuing a career in the Army as an officer and will likely be screened for a clearance, let me share something else. I only do so for your benefit.

I too had a TS (SCI) clearance. Not bragging, as it was just part of the job. Just letting you know I’ve “been there”. One of my commands was at a “special” command. All members had this same level of clearance. As Jaybird indicated it is VERY pricey for the government to perform the background checks, additionally, it takes in excess of a year to complete. Because of these factors our command had a policy of prescreening candidates prior to submitting a SBI (Special Background Investigation) request.

The first part of the screening included reviews of an individual’s performance history. Only 1 out of 20 made this cut. Those that made the cut were contacted to see if they were interested in the job, although we couldn’t give them any details other than duty station location and an estimated deployed time. If they were interested we conducted a phone interview and sent them a very detailed package they needed to complete and return.

Once the package was received it was reviewed to see if the person was indeed a candidate, roughly 1 of 5 were. These candidates were further screened to include: a face-to-face interview, a look at the individual’s financial situation, criminal background down to the parking ticket level, the individual’s moral standards (extra-marital activities, compulsive liar/exaggerator/bragger, etc.) and interviews with co-workers / friends. Usually about half of the candidate made the cut and were hired contingent on passing the SBI.

There was/is much more to it, but this gives you an idea of the detail we put into every candidate for hiring. Mind you that all of these folks were active duty Navy (E-5 to O-5) and this hiring process is unique. I spent the last 16 months performing the enlisted screening process for my command.

OK….where the hell is all this going? :silly:

In the end, if at any point I found an individual to be a “chest thumper”, an obviously liar or someone that provided to many details about our command or the hiring process, I’d reject them as a candidate. We’ve put folks through the entire screening process, including the SBI and they were within a month of transfer to us when we found out that the individual just couldn’t keep a low profile about his next duty station. We fired them before they arrived. Have you ever tried to find decent orders with 30 days of your transfer? Not fun. Likewise, if a member in our command brought undue attention to themselves or the command, they were transferred ASAP.

At any rate, rest assured that the folks performing the SBI are much more thorough than our process. They look back 15 years and into all aspects of your life, including your recent Internet activity. Do not underestimate that they will look at Trackpads, DRN and any other sites you frequent as part of determining suitability for a clearance.

Ask yourself this: If I were the person hiring me, would I do so based on my DRN posts? Would I trust someone with national security that might exaggerate the amount of intelligence information they possess or even disclose the fact that have any classified information?

Again….this is not intended as a pile-on, just food for thought from one VET to another.

Scott

Last edited:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
so what are ya saying scott?....setting myself on fire, several times, would that be a good thing or a bad thing. i think it kind'a denotes a certain superhero quality. but that's just me. :flame: <- kinda like this guy, only fatter with a goat hair chin.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Scott, he’s not going to get it, even if someone were to explain it in English. The guy has a HUGE inferiority complex as shown by his buying DRN memberships for several people. His true colors really have shown when these same people don’t subscribe to his drivel and then he takes it personal. Several members have pointed out to him that DRN is not a chat room, yet he continues to feel the need to reply to every post, including his own. What scares me about Irish is that he may get commissioned someday, I would be very worried about my son or anyone elses child serving under someone like him.

Irish, My last and final statement to you: Grow up, quiet up, “loose lips sink ships” start being a little bit more responsible. Even your brother has asked you to be more discreet. :| ... And don't ever threaten me again!

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
scottr, would i pass the SBI? you know, with the fire thing. i have been known to mow the old ladys lawn next door, ofcourse i also burnt her fence,and another neighbors fence when i left a smoldering pile of leaves unattended? hmmm...fire again. i set my mom and dads bed on fire, with them in it when i was about 3. thing was, i was helping my sister look for her doll.i got the zippo, fired it up and went under the bed, real tunnel rat stuf. the bed caught fire tho. so...is the fire thing a deal breaker ya think? :confused:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like Sarge should be helpin' Eddie with the bonfires :)

"I walked by this lumber yard and it spontaniously combusted..." :laugh:

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by sfc crash
i set my mom and dads bed on fire, with them in it when i was about 3. thing was, i was helping my sister look for her doll.i got the zippo, fired it up and went under the bed, real tunnel rat stuf. the bed caught fire tho.

ROTFLMAO - I'll bet that woke your folks up real quick :scream:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by sfc crash
scottr, would i pass the SBI? you know, with the fire thing.
Initially….no way! :| You’d have their head spinning. :eek:

Then they’d dig deeper. Once they picked themselves up off the floor as I just did, had a few daddy pops and realized that YOU are a great American, you’d be in! They would, however, notify the your local fire marshal to keep an eye on you. :)

Originally posted by Whyzee
Scott, he’s not going to get it.....

What scares me about Irish is that he may get commissioned someday, I would be very worried about my son or anyone else’s child serving under someone like him.
Dave,
I hear ya man, I thought I’d give it one last shot and then I’m done. You, Jaybird and Okie popped the cork on some feelings I’ve had for a long time IRT the way most, if not all VETs feel about some of the posts. Many are embarrassing and do not shed a good light on our service men and women, especially our active duty folks.

The “I have some info that you don’t have” and “I’ll give ya what I can” (OK….spoon feed :flame: ) is so cross-wired with anything I know concerning OPSEC and clearances. This surpassed mere embarrassment and I felt he should understand the consequences of his actions.

Your above quoted statement concerning commissioning is spot on. Unless, of course, Irish does some serious soul searching and really addresses some issues prior to receiving those bars. I honestly hope this is the case for his sake and those serving with him.

Top Bottom