Is my Kips working?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Two steps.

1. (For 'H' models) Remove the slotted cover on the head on the LH side of the engine. This exposes the end of the KIPS main shaft. Maybe you can see it well enough as is, or put a piece of tape, white out a spot, make some mark you can see on the nut.

Start the engine. Warm it up. Give it a flick of the throttle to @ least 6000rpm. Observe the rotation of the shaft.

Now you know the actuator shaft is activating the main shaft.

2. Take off the pipe. Looking up into the cylinder, manually activate the KIPS via the nut under that slotted cover you just were looking at. Observe the main exhaust valve moving up with activation and return, and the two subport drums on either side operating in sync both on activation and return. The drums rotate such that they open the exhaust to the main port when activated, and route the exhaust to the helmholtz resonator (the cavity with the KIPS cover on the LH side) when 'at rest'.

Manual activation should be smooth and relatively easy. There isn't any big wrenching required. When released, the shaft should return to an 'at rest' position...not stick open.

How's that?

An '03 and you're concerned about the KIPS operation? A bit early to worry about that, isn't it?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
He's having other problems CC. There is a thread he started dealing with poor low end poop. He can't get it up.....the front wheel that is, when twisting his throttle without pulling his clutch (Ziggy Freud would have a field day with me)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yeah. But he did ask about kips ops specifically.

Presumeably some would read the thread based on the title....not because they want to know what's wrong with his bike.

Seemed the KIPS had already been covered in his situation. Just cuz it was discussed doesn't mean anyone ever looked at it. :(

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I'm just asking, so I don't chase a ghost jetting the bike, when the kips might be messed up.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…