Is the head destroyed?

Bricko

Jun 6, 2005
Hi,
Being a novice at repairing bikes I need info and guidance from those more learned than I.

I have removed the head and cylinder and it was quite obvious that the Exhaust valves, idle gear and guides need replacing.

The exhaust valves came out in bits and the gears were almost unrecognizable. I guess as I have read elsewhere the valves seized up and crunche everything. (read daughters boyfriend riding bike not me!)

The cylinder looks ok but the head has quite elongated holes which should I guess be round where the tops of the valve go into the head. I assume when they broke off they started doing strange things.

Is the hole size critical and should the head be replaced?
Anyone got a picture of what it should look like?

My other question is should the exhaust valve operating rod turn or move when I crank the engine? Which it isn't at the moment? What would this mean?

Please forgive my newbie questions.

Thanks,
Bricko (cabinetmaker not mechanic) :nod:

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
Hey Bricko. go to http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ click on KDX tech tips, then "top end pictoral" that's what it's supposed to look like. What you are describing has me confused. You sound like you're looking at a four stroke head. There are no exhaust valve holes in a KDX head. Only the water jacket.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Bricko, what year is your Bike? I have just done this process on my 1991. My Valves, like yours, were in an almost unrecognisable state. The holes in the head on my bike are a little worn out, but thats not a real prob cos there are little collars that go on top of the valves to hold them in place properly. Thr process described on the web page you have been directed to is for the more modern bikes. Put the bike back together, and take off the cap on the right hand side of the motor, this cap also has a rubber boot attached to it. under the cap you should see an arm with one nut holding it on to a shaft that goes down near your water pump. My shaft has "caution left hand thread" stamped across it (cos the nut is a left hand thread!!) OK, so assuming you can see all of this start the bike and rev it, at around 6000 rpm the arm shold swing out. If it doesnt, dont panic cos the shaft that goes into your cylinder is probably seized like mine was, but this in no real drama. I recommend pulling the cylinder off yourself, then buying the new bits and taking them to a bike mechanic to get them installed. My mechanic only charged me for half an hours work, cos he knows how to do it right the first time. Prior to that I tried to do it myself, and thought it was correct but was wrong. Its like a bizarre puzzle putting those valves back in! My bits cost me 250 bucks Australian for the lot except the main exhaust valve. But remember, this info is only good for the 89-93 model bikes.

Bricko

Jun 6, 2005
Thanks for that info Brenden most helpfull!

Thanks for that it is a 91 model so it's the same as yours and it confirms what i thought. I have all the bits out and am waiting on pricing. thanks for your help!

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
No Worries Bricko, Thanks also to John Cena. The scans he posted were very useful to me, I was going to post them here for ya but John beat me to it! While Ive got you, its worth poiting out that a) Most of the references to jetting in this site are of no use to us as us Aussie bikes have smaller carbs than the American/Canadian versions... our stock main jet is a 122 or 124, whilst the other bikes have a 155 as stock. and B) if you have seen the "stock pipe mod" instructions on the KDX homepage and are thinking of doin it, I strongly reccomend so. Its easy (if you know a good welder) and the results are well worth it.

Happy KDXing!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…