Is the piston seized?

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
I was riding my bike yesterday, in fairly cold weather (25 F). I did let my bike warm up, i started it, ran it on choke for 10 seconds then let it idle for at least 5 minutes in my driveway. I road some easy trails for about and hour then my bike died on me. I got a full kick on it ONCE but went to go kick it again and the kick stops about a third down the kick. I didnt force it to go down because I didnt want to damage it even more than it already is. Does anyone think that my piston has seized or what? Any ideas will help at this point. :(

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
I don't know what you're riding, but if it's a 4-stroke, you could have thrown a timing chain.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
It could just as easily be the bottom end that seized, main bearings or big end bearing, the only way to tell will be to lift off the cylinder and see. You might be lucky if it's just the main bearings, they're cheap enough...

Philip

r_rider28

~SPONSOR~
Feb 24, 2002
Give us some more detail. Is it a 2-stroke and what kind of oil are you running? Have you changed your jetting to run in the colder weather?

ryanfoley

Sep 17, 2002
I was riding my friends bike and it dident have top end job for a while and it just died on my i kicked it once and it went through the stroke but the second time it just stoped it turned out the piston skirt busted and got all over the engine, not too good.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
It sounds like you warmed it up enough, but ya gotta be very carefull in the cold weather.. Without propper warm up, the piston can expand ever so slightly faster than the cylinder and cause a sieze. Definitely take the jug off and check it out, its the safest thing..

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well start at the start. Pull the plug & look at it (it may tell a story).

Pull the LH sidecover & try to rotate the flywheel by hand. In neutral & without the plug, it should turn over nicely. If not then pull the head & start digging.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…