Is there something wrong with my clutch?

keebs94

Jan 15, 2003
When my bike is sitting on the stand and running in neutral the rear wheel spins slowly, when you swist the throttle it spins a little faster do i need a new clutch?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It could just be normal drag but it could also mean that the fingers on the clutch basket are wearing. The fiber plates ride against the fingers and over time they can wear notches in them. This will prevent the plates from fully seperating and causeing the problem you are having. Net time you have it apart take a look at the fingers. If they aren't worn too bad they can be filed smooth. Take the basket out before you try to file them.

There are sevral threads on notched clutch baskets if you do a search too.

Good luck

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
RM_guy, keebs said when his bike is in neutral, so the clutch has nothing to do with it. Keebs, mine does that too, along with my friends, its just normal, if it were anything then it would be with the transmission, but its nothing.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
My bike does the same thing. This is with new plates and a hinson clutch basket. can you easily stop the wheel from turning when you rest your foot against it?

If you can, no big deal. If this manuver tears off your foot, I am sorry. Removal of the foot might indicate some sort of clutch problem.

Top Bottom