BlacknRedGT

Jun 19, 2009
Been riding street bikes for 6+ years and want to try out riding on the dirt for once. I found this for sale:

Well I cant put in a damn link. wtf?

Message me so I can send you a link if you can help out.

I do not know anything about dirt bikes or what to check for or even how to ride. lol

Any advice on the above bike?? Is it a good buy??

BlacknRedGT

Jun 19, 2009
This was the posting:

2001 Yamaha YZ 125cc 2 stroke, in great shape with the following upgrades,new top & bottom end 10 hours ago,pro curcuit pipe & silencer,KYB suspension,works connection frame protectors,pro taper-seven eightie handle bars,fx graphics kit,renthal 1723 rear sprocket,renthal chain,scott grips,V-force power reed,new front & rear tires,also included is a brand new Monster graphics kit with seat cover new in the package,asking $1,399.00 Eamail if interested.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
It's an average buy if it's in good condition. Most of these bikes reach a point like this one has that they are worth between $1100-$1300 for many seasons if they are kept in good riding condition.

Last edited:

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
That sounds a little on the high side for a 125. You should be able to get a comparable 250 for $1400. Like Chili said, that bike is probably closer to the $1100 to $1200 price range. Here are some things to look for on a 2 stroke:

Oil leaks? Sprocket/Chain wear? General maintenance - look at the oil and the air filter, does regular maintenance appear to have been done? Side to side wheel play? Brake rotor wear? Rotors can be expensive. Does the bike leak oil out of the pipe connection? If he will let you, run a compression test..it is very easy to do on a 2 stroke. "Normal" compression is subjective, but from what I have read, a healthy 125 should be around 120+psi. My 125 is about 110 psi and has 5 hours on the rebuild. Keep in mind testers vary also. Are the clutch and gears smooth? Check the suspension for oil leaks and "dampening". Does the power band "hit" like it should or is it weak? Ask for receipts. Even if the guy did the rebuild himself, he should have parts receipts. Talk to the guy and ask alot of questions...I always try to read them like a good poker player would. These things will be difficult to do if you know nothing about dirt bikes...you may want to take a friend that does.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom