trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Update:
I stop at the local dealer last Friday before arriving home and she tells me the plug is B/O (great!) but should arrive early this week. I start tearing the bike apart once I arrive home. I notice that the plug that was in it wasn't the stock one but the one NGK suggests for this model (IMR8C-9H). I put back in my old stock plug to see if that'll make a difference. Just like Rich suggested, I checked over all the electrical connections: Nothing is cracked, everything is clean, and ground is ok. Next I remove the subframe to have a better access to the carb. Pilot jet seemed to have some debris, I clean that up. I also cleaned the jet at the carb entrance. Like JOE suggested, I backed out the pilot screw 1/4 turn. Now we've got clean connections and a clean carb. I remove the cylinder head cover, align everything up, and check the clearances. My prayers have been heard, the valves are dead on spec! Woohoohoo :yeehaw: And timing is right on. Now everything cannot go so well, while putting back on the cylinder head cover, I strip the threads on the left hole. :bang: I can still torque the screw a little bit and figure this will be alright for the week end.

So, it starts in less than ten kicks; not bad. I still got it with no choke, 1/4 throttle (weird). Bike runs great. Oil does escape a little bit from the left side where the threads are stripped. Once back home, I tap the threads to see if that could work out and add some blue loctite to the screw. Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference. Just for Sunday, I put some silicone where it was dripping and that got the job done. I look up the parts diagram expecting to be able to buy another one of those C shaped split housing where the cover ties to, but it comes only with the cylinder head assembly. My best option would be a Helicoil? Does anyone know the dimensions for this particular screw? I can't remember what tap I used.

Thanks for everything!

IMG_2938.jpg

Bike doesn't look good for a very long time, I had the frame polished down to the pegs and that left cover looking like a mirror. Ah well! Should've shot my pictures before, but I was waiting for those sprockets and the chain. :)

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Anyone know the dimensions for that screw I was talking about? I think it is M6 x 1.00, just need to be sure.

Last edited:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Will a Helicoil be fine? I'm doing this tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Wish i would have seen this earlier, I just got done checkin my clearances. I would've taken one to work and spec'd it for you. Just be real careful how deep you drill it out and you may have to trim the helicoil a bit.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Great thanks guys! Helicoils are supposed to be better than tapped threads in soft material so I guess I'll be able to torque them to 10 Nm like the manual says so.

nathanyzf426

May 2, 2008
gidday mate the different in the plugs is that the 8 will burn much hotter then what the 9 will and i have a feeling it is your plug as i had the same issues only on a 2 stroke but mind you the plug being old was always a work out to start and then the gap opener part broke off and chewed out my piston so i would deffinately be looking into that

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Yes, I did put in a brand new plug and it is definitely better now. :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
trial_07 said:
Great thanks guys! Helicoils are supposed to be better than tapped threads in soft material so I guess I'll be able to torque them to 10 Nm like the manual says so.
10Nm pulled the threads out? :whoa: That's very light torque.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
It is a pretty light torque, but I guess it broke because of fatigue. I just finished inserting the helicoils, they are not very long but should be plenty strong. I hope the new bolts do arrive by Friday!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
They seem to be damaged. I'm not taking any chances, I would not want to strip my helicoil with a damaged bolt.

Top Bottom