Danno's 465

May 18, 2013
Hi there,
Got an '82 Yami IT-465. I rebuilt the Mikuni VM-38SS carbie; replacing all the pitted brass from decades of neglect from the previous owner. The only part I could not get my hands on was a stock 6F39-4 jet needle (can't find any data on the 6F39-4). I currently run a Q-2 needle jet (also called a MAIN NOZZLE) and the dealer advised a 6F16 jet-needle to team up with my Q-2 needle-jet.

Now, after modifying the clutch components to that of an '83 IT490 (the 82's had a pressed start-gear behind the primary, which was notorious for spinning out and breaking/jamming stuff), I her finally got it started and running. Ran it through all the gears, with stock carb settings (#40 pilot-jet @1.5 turns of the air screw and a #390 MJ). I observe that it appears to be running rich (gurgles quite a bit, during steady 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I have run the air-screw out to three-turns without much difference.

My questions is these:
For YZ/IT-465 applications, do a Q-2 needle jetand and 6F16 jet needle pair nicely together?

How does a 6F16 compare to a 6F39-4 jet needle?? (richer leaner?)

Is there better choice of size of needle, for a 6F16 OR a better choice of jet needle for a Q-2?

I only plan on running on the fire trails and stuff. No comp or racing for this old bike. I just want to get rid of the gurgles. I do plan on trying a #380 and #370 MJ, to see if that helps... But I would like to FIRST ensure that my needle-jet / jet needle pairing is optimal. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Top Bottom