crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
I'm located in the Bobcaygeon, Ontario area and this has to be the wettest summer I can remember. We arn't talking rain here and there, but it seems like it rains almost every other day.

Everyone likes a little bit of mud and going thru a water hole can be fun... to a certain extent. But when you are hitting 4'+ deep puddle after 4' deep puddle with no solid bottom, it gets old quick. Some of these puddles are also 20'-25' in length.

What kind of mods have you done to your KDX to handle this?

Have any tips for the extre deep puddles?

Personally I try to go right thru the middle of the deep puddles. There are usually less ruts and solid ground. But sometimes this works against you. I've already submarined once this year and green water doesn't taste like koolaid.

Also, I've been holding off on the airbox mod because I don't want to ruin my engine. Does anyone ride in lots of deep water with the airbox mod?

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
bummer! pretty the same thing in quebec.Sometimes when i find new trails i have to go back because of huge hole of mud. 3 feet deep and up! A new tire help a lot but when the tire reach 30-40% of wear i dont risk because i am alone in most of the time.i think we have to live whith that or try to make or find bypass... :bang:

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
kdxquebec said:
bummer! pretty the same thing in quebec.Sometimes when i find new trails i have to go back because of huge hole of mud. 3 feet deep and up! A new tire help a lot but when the tire reach 30-40% of wear i dont risk because i am alone in most of the time.i think we have to live whith that or try to make or find bypass... :bang:

nothing sucks more than getting stuck in the mud alone. Especially when you are exhausted and wondering how you will get out.

I havn't gone out much on my own this year because I don't want to get stuck and wait 2 hours for someone to come along and help me :P

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Hmmmmm..... Sounds like a Canadian problem! :)
I run river bottoms but nothing like you guys talk about. As long as you don't get up to your seat and you stay moving it usually isn't a problem with the airbox mod. Make sure you guys are running a really soft tire too.... it helps alot!

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Hey crazymike, you live in a beautiful part of the world. I'll be missing this years Corduroy enduro up there because of impending wedded bliss, but I'll be back next year. See if you can get it dried out by then.

Great 2 day event for anyone that's interested. You definitely get your money's worth.
http://home.nas.net/~steelcity/

Up there on the snowmobile trails, they usually have a route-arounds for the deep holes and I usually serpentine around the edges of the smaller ones. You never know what's lurking under the water to take your front away. Keep the front light if you're blasting through the middle.

I've never had any problems with water with my snorkel removed. I've heard it's more for sound suppression than water tightness.

One last tidbit. Beaver dams are deeper than they look.

Top Bottom