fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Well, as many of you know, a little over 6 months ago I found out that the skirt on the piston on my dads 98 220 broke off and punched a hole on the cases. Read the full story HERE

We finally got it back together and running tonight after a long time and lot of money (the reason why it took a long time). Total bill is ~$1200. I dont know the exact total yet, but I dont really want to know. This price includes:
-new cases (~$500)
-labour for re and re new cases (~$200)
-cylinder replating and repair of damage done by exiting pieces of piston ($410)
-new Wiseco piston kit ($110)
-all top and bottom end gaskets and seals (~$50)

But on the bright side, the engine is basically brand new. While it was sitting I also greased all the bearings, new fork oil, shock oil and nitrogen, and whole bunch of miscellaneous items. You can see some pics HERE

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Well Kyle, the bright side is you can probably expect your 'new' KDX to pretty much last forever after such a thorough rebuild.

Break 'er in nice & enjoy it. :thumb:

BTW, did you have any porting work done while it was down?

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
No porting was done. It is now my dad's bike, and he is just coming off a shoulder injury so he is happy with the power WITH the stock pipe on! We have an FMF Burly, but it is so bent outta shape it dosnt even fit, or maybe it came like that brand new?? ;)

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
A part of my powervalve on my '98 200 broke off, dropped into my lower end, and trashed my transmission. The repair bill was right at $800, for new gears, bearings,seals, and labor. This was out of the question, so, using every bit of patience I had, I waited till I found a whole new engine on e-bay. It was a '91 model, and fit right in, with the exception of the top motor mount, which required new brackets (no biggie). So for less than 1/2 of the estimate of repairing my '98 lower end, I'm riding again, and it has a very similar feel. It's not new, but it got me on the trail, and... the spark plug is easier to get to!

happy trails...

Gordo

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom