It's Time to Play "The Lay-off Lottery"!

B

biglou

Oh, boy. Big fun here at work. Several salaried folks let go late yesterday, several more to get it today including one in my department of about 7 people. They've already eliminated a couple positions in my dept. as people moved elswhere in the company. We've been working with frozen salaries for a year and a half, no overtime for those of us who get it, but amazingly, when folks quit or leave for whatever reason, their work just gets spread out among those of us who are left. This isn't a big company, either. There are probably 250-300 employees, which is primarily the hourly folks on the manufacturing floor.
The folks that got chopped yesterday were supervisors and long-time employees, also. Lots of "Tribal Knowledge" that's no longer there.
I'm sure lots of other folks are playing this same game right now. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. It's not like this place means that much to me, but I may have to actually start working for a living if I lose this job! If I get the axe, anyone wanna go riding?!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
My phone is NOT ringing. Another month or two of this, and I'll have to look for a job. :scream:

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Hey, I won that lottery back at the end of June:scream:

I had a few months that should have told me layoffs were coming, and I sat there like a deer in teh headlights. My advice is to start looking. We owe nothing to places we work/worked. As soon as the going gets tough we are an economical statistic.

"When your neighbor loses his job, it's a recession. It's a depression when you lose your job." Harry Truman

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
I will keep a desk open for you here Lou!

Hey, at least you would have more time to help get the track going!:think

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
This is one lottery that I don't want to win.

Same deal here. Tomorrow is "black Wednesday". It's hard to believe that we were hiring like gangbusters this time last year. After several episodes of layoffs this year already, I'm hoping this is the bottom. :think

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Makes me that much more thankful that I got me a gubmint job!

Though, money's getting tighter around here since people aren't spending as much, thereby not as much tax revenue . . . :think

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Everybody knows the airfare benefit was cut months ago.

B

biglou

Originally posted by Okiewan:
Well, yeah. That was when we got the private support team learjet.
Uh-oh. Have I said too much?:eek: :o

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Cripes we don't even get to keep the money when we sell the demo bikes anymore! :silly:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
It is so bad I have applied for a moderatorship of DRN so I can get free bikes, airfare and a $100,000 a year salary :p j/k
Originally posted by Okiewan
Heck, I'll do it just for the free bikes! :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That was when we got the private support team learjet.

Yeah but it hasn't been the same since Okie and Oldguy went on that trip to Florida. It smells like old people now.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
we have the same problem at our company. Although I work from home, so I never know what's happening till it's already happened. If they lay me off, they may forget to tell me :)
And they were asking for volunteers to work OVERTIME WITH NO PAY the other day....something tells me, maybe they laid off a few too many people?
The stress of not knowing day to day whether I will have a job tomorrow is starting to really get to me...
The only thing that seems to relieve my stress, is calling in sick, and going riding ;)

DSsuper92

Mar 27, 2000
As of next Wednesday I am unemployed. It wasn't unexpected as my contract runs out but it's still disappointing none the less. Somebody should organize an unemployment spodefest. Lord knows there would be a huge turnout.

Dave

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i feel for ya guys,here at mother X, we get v-rif bennies if we "v", it's 1 month pay for your # of years x 1.5. not bad at all. prob is the job's easy and alot of guys that should voulunteer(old guys) don't. they did alot of i-rif's but all upper management. btw, i think the economy is gonna rocket forward in about 3to6 mos, save 9-11, alot of the slow down was self induced. i saw local corps hold back on orders because some finacial bozo said we're getting ready for a slow down,blah blah,blah...self fullfilling prophacies. thing is, we're all doing,buying,living....more.:think , damn stock markett.

Top Bottom