TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I've got a leak between my cases (not sure if it's the side cases or the right side case/cover). The bike looses about an ounce of oil for every day it sits..a little more than that if it was run that day. I've just been topping off the oil/changing it before each ride, but I'm tired of doing that..plus going broke. I'm going to pull the motor out and put a new top end and fix the power valve before the snow flies, I don't really want to split the cases again (big pain getting that one shim that always seems to fly behind the bench). So I was wondering if I could use JB Weld or something like that to fix the leak (only if it's the crank case, if it's the right side where it leaks I'll replace the gasket). Would the JB Weld do anything harmful..other than making it a pain to split the cases if i ever have to again. I think this is going to be the last season that the bike gets used regularly, since I should have my Kx250 running by spring. The bike is an '89 Kdx200..and the right side case has been welded up before, if that matters. Thanks in advance.

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
I did that that once on a TM 400. (that was a long time ago) The case was cracked,had a small piece missing,drained the oil,removed gas tank layed bike over or upside down(seriously) Clean the area & paint off "real good". I used JB weld, let it dry and went riding.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Maybe the cover got warped a little when you welded it . Ive welded up those cases when they crack near the shift shaft You bang the shifter into a rock or root and it cracks the R/S cover . If thats it maybe just clean it well and smear it up.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I'm pretty sure it was warped when I got the bike (got the bike in a bunch of boxes; Ad said "Some Assembly Required"). The water pump had been ripped off (literaly), and part of the case was missing. Since I couldn't find a new right side engine case, I used the old one, which was JB'd and welded.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom