Jeff Fredette not riding a KDX

Nov 12, 2002
Check out the new issue of Dirt Rider. It has a photo of "Mr. KDX" riding an 04 KX250F at a WORC Series race. The caption states "he'll be riding one this year".

No big deal... just unexpected. I guess no changes for 8 model years is pretty boring.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Mabey kawi will change them in 06. It seems that every MAJOR change is every 3 years.

I noticed at least 1 thing different between the 03 and the 04. And that was the rear disk brake. It has a different pattern of holes in (regular circles instead of slanted lines). This is the only thing I notice from the picture other than graphics.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
One thing I wonder is if Mr. KDX going over to the KX250F is a sign of the end of the KDX family at least here in the States. Why switch him to a four stroke unless Kawi plans for him to help turn a KX250F into a 4s enduro replacement?

Best,
Greg

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I talked to Jeff a month or so ago about his 250F. Seems as though Kawasaki asked him to ride it this year, he is a team green rider so Kawasaki has input into what he rides. It sounded to me like Kawasaki was looking for input into a 250F off road version and who better to provide that input than Jeff. He'll be converting it to an off road bike over the next few months and getting it ready for the 2004 racing season.

David

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
And from his efforts you guys will have a very nice, up to date Kawie off road Enduro bike to ride. :thumb:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Which since the death noll for 2 strokes has been sounded (at least here in Eco-fornia), it will be good to have a 4 stoke KDX to take up the banner march! :thumb:

-Maurice

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
I still have my KDX, but I also got a KX250F for the GNCC's and NHS this year........already made it into a great woods mount. I cant decide wich i like to ride better the KDX or the 250F.........I know for the GNCC's I like the 250F better, but I think for my tight Ohio local races the KDX is still the ticket.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
The KDX has a little bit more down low, get me over the big log power, and it is better for the trails where your bars are touching trees on both sides. The KDX seems like you can let it idel down and almost stall and get back on the gas and it just goes, where the KX250F usually stalls out in that sort of situation. In the mid range, like on a hill climb the 250F is the ticket, and it dosent have as much wheel spin as the KDX, not that the KDX spins that much. The 250F also has a really smooth power delivery, and dosent really hit at all, which I like for woods ridding and racing. On the top end Im not really sure what bike is better, Im pretty sure the the 250F is faster, but the KDX does have a 6th gear, and i dont think I have ever gotten in it on a flat out run. Like I said the GNCC's where the tracks are more of a 3 hr moto cross I am racing the KX250F, and most fo the local races I well be on the KDX, my local races are 3 hr real tight single track type of races.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Seems like we need something bigger in a four stroke. I would have to switch to an orange bike. Something like a KDX400F would be awesome though.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
KdxChode said:
Seems like we need something bigger in a four stroke. I would have to switch to an orange bike. Something like a KDX400F would be awesome though.

We had it, in dual sport form no less. My brother has a 03 KLX400. Great bike once you take off all the smog stuff (for weight), open up the air box and rejet. Heavy as hell though.

-Maurice

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I thought the KLX300 was the 4 stroke KDX? I used to have a KLX and can tell you both share common parts and both groups of owners make lots of mods to make their bikes more KX-like. The KXF250 is the 4 stroke KX and is a heck of a bike....I certainly hope Kawi is working to do an off-road version to compete with the CRF250X.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Have any larger riders tried the KX250F? I'm curious since I weigh 230#. Part of the reason I picked the KDX was that it is light. Also, kx_993, how modified is your KDX? I just want to see what you're comparing so I get a good idea of the kx's power.

Best,
Greg

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
That's pretty odd for the 2-stroke to have more power down low and the 4-stroke to have more power up high. That's all backwards! Although I'd believe it because the KDX is a beast down low and the 250F motocrossers really seem to like to be ridden at high RPMs. Interesting!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Fender, don't know if I'm right, but the way I think about it is that the 200 is closer to a 250cc displacement so it's power curve will look more like a 250cc 2-stroke's than a 125's, not to mention the porting for the KDX would be more biased for a larger rpm spread and less peak. The 250F is a replacement for a 125cc 2-stroke MX so I would expect it to be more 125MX-like. Simple math makes me think a more/better direct replacement for the 200/220 would be a 300-350cc 4-stroke. RPM makes a stroker/overbore kit for the 250F that gives a 300-320cc displacement (can't remember exactly) and I'm interested in how well it works but not $2500 extra worth of interested. :-(

Best,
Greg

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
A four stroke's powerband is controlled by the camshaft(s). Remember the guy who put a race cam in his car and it would barely run below 3000 RPM, but it would now scream to 7000 RPM (if he didn't lose a rocker arm)? Same idea. The guys above are right, these bikes are MXers that compete against 125 2-strokes, so they've been tuned accordingly.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
My KDX just has the bolt on stuff, Pro Tapers, and foot pegs and other stuff.....But motor wise it is all stock with a Dyno Port pipe and silincer. I have also relocated the CDI and taken the air box lid off, and I run Twin Air air filters. Other then that she is basically all stock, with FCR suspension, and stock gearing. I raced it at in the GNCC's last year in the 200B class. Fender92883, I thought the same thing about the 4 strokes down low power, but dont get me wrong the 250F has plenty for any trail obstical, and makes easy work of the GNCC tracks. But on one of my practice tracks in our woods it is VERY tight single track and nothing has been cleared off the trail (big logs and crossed up logs laying all over) and the KDX seems to make it throught that trail alot better.......Now I can make it on the 250F with no problems, but on my KDX it just seems effortless.

victorb

Mar 11, 2003
Talked to jeff 2 days ago. He said he took his 220 to the Ms. national Enduro and thought it was a little better/snapper in the woods than his 4 stkr.. Also he said the new kawi , like all the new 250 4 stks, were high maintnaance. Kawasaki recc. tear down every 15 to 20 hrs of operation.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I houred out - I was done anyway. I went down pretty hard early on and had a hard time getting back in a groove - not to mention my forks were twisted int he triples. Luckily, I went down ont he other side and fixed that right up.

Had a blast though. Some of those guys can really ride.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom