procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
How the heck to you get the jet needle out? i got the cap off and the carb body is removed so all there is is the cable and the spring and the cap with the needle dangling below. How do you get it off/how do you change the clip position?

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
Another question regarding carbs: when you are checking the float level without a set of calipers and you are doing it by making sure it is parallel to the bowl mating surface, are you supposed to hold it upside down and make sure its parallel or what?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
This is where the "hemostat" comes in handy.
(Back in the day we called it a "roach clip" :laugh: )

Now slide the spring and collar outward and use the "hemostat" to hold it there and you will find that the cable has a barrel on it just like any other cable. Just slide it out of it's slot and you got 'er, now just use a 6mm, I believe, socket and the needle and slide can be taken apart . Then you can use a pair of needle nose to adjust the clip.

For your other question: I believe yes, You check it upside down at an angle. There are instructions in http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ but the drawing seems to be backwards to me, or I did it wrong ?? "cuz I had to tilt the carb the other direction than the pic shows....
But don't take my word for it 'cuz I failed at adjusting it the first time... I went the wrong direction and she would not stop peeing!! :worship: But I did eventually get it. :)

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
CDave has a good picture of using the 'stats in the tech section of his original JustKDX page. Be sure & treat the slide/needle with care, don't want to scratch the slide face or tweak the needle.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Don't be timid!

TO get the cable out, pull the spring all the way up and then push straight down on the cable untill it stops. Give it a wiggle and it should come free.

To get the needle out simply remove the 6mm bolt from the top. Once you slide the needle out you'll see the clip. Up = lean.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A couple of general pointers:

1. Clip positions are numbered 1-5 (most kawi needles have 5..some have 6 slots) with #1 being at the top (blunt/lean) end, #5 being toward the bottom (pointed/richer) end.

2. Use neverseize on the retainer nut on re-assy.

3. Ensure on re-assy that the white nylon cable retainer tab fits in the cable nut slot.

4. Keep everything clean! The carb should've been clean before it was taken apart. It only takes a speck-o-crap to interfere with proper slide movement. You can see how a hung up slide could be a problem.

re: float adjustment

The needle has a spring loaded pin. The measurement is taken when the pin just touches the float tang..not with any depression of the pin whatsoever.

Either measure the float level to be 16mm ('H' model kdx small body PWK), or use the mold lines on the float as a guage..they will be parallel to the carb body at the 16mm measurement.

If you don't see the difference between what I've said and '..are you supposed to hold it upside down..', re-read this until you do understand the diff, or ask again.

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
Thanks, I got it. Turns out a had a hemo and i didnt even know it! Did they come stock with a #5 or #6 slide, because mine has a #6 and all the rest of the jetting is stock, and i thought the slide was a #5 stock

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
#6 is stock on mine

Mine = '92

And before I posted I checked to see what model procircuit21 had and checked out what slide a '91 comes with at the kawa web site. ;)

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's hard to tell what oem config was with a 'mine' year.

While a number of things may cover a number of models (as in needle adjustment), a number of other things are model specific.

'Mine' is a #7............;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: jetting on some older models...

The jetblock is lower by something like 1.5 clips. That makes a same needle-clip on those models (as referenced to the 'H' model) a good bit richer by comparison.

In this particular case, the information posted by others is relevant to you..after you take the difference into consideration.

One clip is .90mm btw.

Yes, the 'H' model stock cutaway on the throttle valve is 5mm.

Point is...as jw says.

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
HAHA sorry i got a little ahead of myself

Wheres's the best place to buy jets? In DK, they are like 4.50 or somewhere close, and that was the only place i could find them.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sudco 800-998-3529 Also @ sudco.com

Carbparts 216-635-1099 Also @ carbparts.com

Take a look around carbparts website for things like a list of keihin needles (keihin codes..if you don't know how to convert, read 'Every KDX Rider Should Read...' at the top of this forum. !!Bookmark CDave's site!!).

Needles from sudco are $5/ea last bunch I ordered. S&H applies of course. Needles from sudco are keihin needles...they are brass. Kawi proprietary needles (the profiles of which you can't cross directly to a keihin needle) are not brass. They look like aluminum (in color)..I don't know what the alloy actually is.

And another oft repeated (over and over and....) ...check out google.com. With an entry of 'keihin jet needle pwk' you get 151 hits. Everything from where to buy stuff, how to decode needle numbers.

Spend some time doing a bit of research and you'll find more stuff on the web than you can shake a stick at.

Stuff like THIS!

A BTW. Not everything you see on the web is correct. I notice carbparts refers to 'needle jets', and has a picture of needles. A 'needle jet' is NOT a 'jet needle'.

We all be clear on that, right? ;)

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom