cr2504life

May 17, 2004
Ok a while back I was going to jet my bike because it was running rich. Well I never did get to jet it before I had a serious meltdown. :bang: The main jet is 230 and I think stock is around 175. The pilot is 85 while the stock is around 55. This would tell me that the bike should be fouling plugs every time I ride but it never once fouled on me. I was wondering once i get my bike back together (new crank, piston, bored cylinder, main bearings everything :eek: ) should I go right back to stock jetting and try that or should I break the bike in with the jets that were in it when i got it. Ohh i have a twin air filter, boysen rad valve, and a PC pipe. Thanks
I wanna to go riding, I wanna go riding. :ride:

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
cr2504life said:
The main jet is 230 and .................... The pilot is 85 ........:

A 230 main and 85 pilot jet are HUGE! Stock Jetting is 175 and 55. You probably had a massive air leak before and the jetting was changed to try to compensate for the extra air being sucked in. Did your bike ever surge or run-on when decelerating?

With your bottom end being fresh, your air leaks are probably gone but a leakdown test should be done to verify that you have no air leaks before you fire that thing up.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
If you had a big melt down, something was wrong. I would go back to stock jets and run them. If you were running jets that were much richer than stock and had a melt down that tells me that you may have had a big air leak going in to the cylinder causing it to run lean. Then whoever changed the jets did it to compensate for the air leak (which they probably didn't know was there).

Since you are having the crank replaced ask that the mechanic take a look at the case halves to make sure there are no leaks between them (some Yamabond might help). Then make sure your reed block and carb maniold don't have any leaks or cracks in the rubber. I think that might be your problem.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
Well my piston skirt shattered because I let it go to long. The topend probably only had 24-30 hrs of trail riding on it. But i knew it needed a rebuild but i wanted to take it out one last trip. The case had to be repaired because peices of the skirt came out through the bottom end. The machist did a good job and now im waiting on bearings to put the case together. I will do a leak test before I run it though.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Good, The leak test will tell all.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom