Jetting after mods

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi

I have a KDX200 2005 model with a FMF Powercore 2 silencer, a modified standard header pipe and I have removed the snorkel from the air box lid, the jetting is standard. the result has been great increases in bottom end torque and power, but the bike just doesn't want to rev out at the top and I am forced to change gears quite early in the throttle rotation to get more speed.

what I am looking for is a more even distribution of power, I still want good bottom end as I mainly do trail riding, but want a bit more on the top end so my friends on there YZ250's don't leave me in the dust.

I live in South africa where the average temperature is about 26-27 degrees celsius (81 degrees fahrenheit) , at an altitude of 613 meters (2011 foot) above sea level and a humidity of around 38%.

Please help ASAP, need to rip some dirt :ride:

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
Just a few questions,

1. What mod did you do to the header pipe?
2. What pre mix are you using and ratio?
3. Have you tried the bike with the air lid removed completely?

Hope to hear from you.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I am running Motul 600 100% Synthese, I was using the Bel Ray H1R but changed to the motul as it make the fuel a different colour, so you can see if you have mixed oil with it.

I run the premix at 35:1.

I haven't tried to remove the air box lid totally yet. The mod to the standard header pipe was to remove all the baffles, so I basically gutted the header pipe and I am running the FMF powercore 2 silencer with that.

Hope this will help??

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter1 where are you from?? I see you are from SA, but where in SA?? I hope you can help me out with this one.

Thanks

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
At 2000 ft elevation and 80+ degrees you are way too rich on jetting imo. You should do the plug chop routine described on these forums to properly jet. Short of that try something like 42 and 155 jetting and see if you are not a whole lot better! I am sure your air filter is clean and serviced!

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Thanks for the input, the filter is clean, I service it every 3 - 4 rides, depending on what it looks like.

Will be trying some stuff this week and will give feedback, I agree that it might be a bit rich, but will soon find out.

Thanks

Paul

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
He is from South Africa. Keep in mind their bikes are somewhat different than the ones in the USA. His pipe had baffles in it that he gutted out, possibly like a cataltic converter. He may also have a different carb and jet numbers may not be the same.I do agree with the advice that his bike sounds like it is rich but I 'd be hesitent to suggest jey sizes.SA, please tell us more about your present carb/settings.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi

According to the dealers the standard jetting on the kdx200 2005 is 160 main and 48 pilot for the south african market, but everyone I have spoken to here has said that the bikes that we get here are always jetted to rich. I have a friend coming around this evening and we are going to start playing with a couple of different setups, but I think the suggestions thus far have been great and have certainly helped point me in the right direction.

Thanks again

Paul

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Try 45pilot / needle in clip #3/ 155 main and see how it runs.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi

Thanks for all the recommendations, I will be ding some playing around with the Needle tonight just to get a feel for things and maybe a plug chop as well. then will look at implementing some of the options you guys have mentioned. Thanks for all the help, I believe that my bike is running a bit rich, but soon will find out. A friend of mine said after riding my bike that it almost felt like the power valve wasn't opening properly, but will play wiht the needle first before I start looking else where.

Paul

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…