greenie

Jun 15, 2002
I have a 2002 RM 125. When I first got the bike and broke it in black oil gooze came out and ran down my silencer every ride. The stock jetting is a 360 main. This riding was in cold weather so when it warmed up a bit I leaned it out to a 340. It did not run any different and kept oozing oil. I asked my local shop and they said keep going leaner. I recently got a fmf sst pipe and silencer for it and it bogged a little and there was way to much smoke with a 410 main so I put a 400 in it. It now runs great in weather anywhere from 65 to 90 degrees but still sprays out a little oil that gets all over the inside side panels and rear fender. In this never ending battle against this excess oil I have switched from yamalube premix to Honda Hp2 to Torco smokeless oil. My plugs read a little rich but I never foul any. It never runs too hot either. Any suggestions on why it takes this lean of a jet and do restricter plugs burn cleaner?

Luke Davey

Mar 8, 2002
Are you mixing the premix at the correct ratios?, what is a restrictor plug?, I assume you mean a restance plug, they should not burn cleaner than a standard plug.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
my expreice with spooge. My 2000 cr250 spooges like heck(using suzuki cci) and I switched to klotz super techniplate and it barely spooges. I hear people say all the time its "jetting" but for me it was simpily changeing oil. Its my second day on klotz, ran fine yesterday, but today i filed a plug a mile away from my house.(without a spare plug, first plug i filed since getting the bike 3 weeks ago) Well i pushed it home clean the plug it fired right up then it bogged out after warmimng it up. SO I DONT RECCOMEND KLOTZ.(sorry klotz people) I thing you need to find the right oil that your bike like and you like, and then jet to that oil. that is probably what I did is not jet to the klotz but it ran fine on it now it wont run at all on it.

Last edited:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
there is a lot of great info on different plugs and how to read plugs for jetting in the differrent threads do a search or just thumb around the differrent pages is something I highly recommend.

just a few quick things that I learned and some persobnal opinion tossed in.

a resistor plug should not affetc performance, jetting or burn cleaner than a non resistor plug. It could save your ignition though. the radio frequencies given off by a non resistor plug can cause damage to the cdi, plus screw up anybody radio reception that is close enough to you. my opinion is to buythe resistor plug for cheap insurance and to prevent anybody from hating you when running the bike. I am not sure about the specific plugs that suzukis call for in certain years whethere it pertains to you but it is said that they could have a problem with the ground strap breaking off and that is why they went to them real high dollar plugs.<actually they didnt go to the plug but had NGK design them a specific plug>

your spooge and main jet issues , changing the main jet is only going to help you from 3/4 - full throttle so unless you run the bike at wide open throttle constantly your spooge is probably coming from the rest of the carb not jetted right. The pilot jet and air screw covering up to 1/4 throttle and the jet needle, slide and needle jet covering 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. look in CAnadian Dave's KDX forum for his link to a jetting page excellent info that in no way I can repeat or improve upon. Search on posts and read anything Rich Rohrich has to say about fuels plug readings oil ratios and jetting. He has very generously posted a few pictures of spark plugs and commented on other peoples pics of spark plugs that just gives a wealth of information that can't be beat. I would if I could give you links to it but I am not computer savvy enough.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
jmics is right, you need to jet all of the circuits in your carb not just your main jet. air screw/pilot jet/needle clip position/different needle/slide/main
Joepro9, Your problem with the Klotz was caused by 2 factors. 1-as you said, your bike needs to be jetted correctly for the conditions/oil/ratio you are using. 2- Klotz SuperTechniplate is an extreme racing oil, it has a very high flash point and is not meant to be run in motors not tuned and run to the edge. It is meant for super high continuous RPM and heat.
Hope that helps, oh, BTW Greenie, you can find good jetting info by doing a search on DRN on jetting or on Eric Gorrs website www.ericgorr.com

derekk87

May 29, 2002
ive heard that klotz is made for high revving high load engines and is more likely to foul plugs at lower rpms and loads if im wrong please correct me but thats the advice my local dealer gave me ive been running castor 927with no probs.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom