jetting changes for riding in snow.help asap

wizard69

May 3, 2001
I just got a 2002 kx250 and I want to ride it now instead of waiting for a month or two.it is about -15 degrees celcius(Ithink that's about +5f)I won't be riding evey day I just wana take it out for a few rides.what should I change?my jetting is a little rich right now and that is for summer riding.would riding it with a bit more oil be good enough or should I change the jetts?it this bad for the bike starting it when it is this cold?I would let it warm up for like 10 minutes but will this be enough?can i just keep the oil that I use in the summer in it?I hope I can rid it with out problems but if not I will wait another month(I kind of wanted to try snow riding)thanx for any help

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
You jetting will need to be richer, and adding oil will be leaner. You summer weight oil is probably too thick for 5 degree temps. As for riding in the snow, it needs to be packed, or all you will do is spin.

wizard69

May 3, 2001
so more oil makes the mixture leaner?man I have been thinking wrong for like 10 years.could I just do the changes with the air screw?I know nothing about carb tuning for cold weather(and aparently fuel mixing)I am going to try using my dune hopper tire and the snow isn't that deep and pretty packed

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
A paddle tire will be really fun in the snow. As for the airscrew, you can use it to adjust the pilot circuit, but the clip needs to be lowered 1 or 2 probably and the main needs to be increased *about* 2 sizes. Thats assuming the bike is jetted correctly.

pyromaniac

Jun 25, 2000
Good to hear you want to ride in the snow and now wait for the summer!!

On my 00rm125 i changed from 175 main and 50 pilot to 188, 45 and raised the needle two clips, that worked the best. However it didnt seem to be possible to make it work good when trail riding, it would pretty fast go rich, probably because of the cold air(-15 to -25!) cooling down the engine cause the pilot was actually leaner than in summer. Next year i willprobably install a termostate. Impossible to get the right operating temprature in my kind of riding.

I have always ridden year round. From +25 in the summer to -25 in the winter. Before i owned a 93cr250(damn i miss it wintertime) it had what i could see perfect jetting except a little rich on the low circuit. I always used the same, pretty cheap oil, 3 to 4%. Never needed to rejet it for the winter, worked great year around, always started and fan fine.

If your bike ran a little rich on summer then it might run good now. Use the same oil, depending on what kind of riding you do you may add more oil if you are lake riding, if you just play around it should be no problem running whatever ratio you use in summer.

Winter is over here and i cant wait to throw some dirt but the winter is just as fun!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom