Jetting kdx for winter use (-15)

zurg

Feb 8, 2005
Have a stock 220 and want to use it during cold weather on snowmobile trail is there anyone know what jetting i could use or which one would be a good start ? :bang:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sorry that you didn't get better replies, I ride my bikes all winter but never go out in colder then 20F. I don't rejet ether as I just cruise around. Asking for trouble.... maybe, but I've been doing it since 1976 so I guess it works for me. OK guys give me hell and answer this guys question :nener: ;)

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
I don't know what the laws in Quebec are, but in the US it is illegal to ride bikes or atvs on snowmobile trails in the winter. Maybe its different up north.... If you do ride in the cold weather, try going up 1 size on the main and lower the needle clip 1 position (thereby raising the needle). Be sure to let your bike warm up longer than u would on warm days. If it cuts out or bogs, u haven't got the right jets in it. Just keep playing around with it and good luck.

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
assuming your bike is jetted properly for the summer you might consider upsizing the main and pilot two sizes to start with, the worse that can happen is that it will be rich

warm it up slowly until the rads and hoses feel warm and take it for a slow ride to warm up the transmission oil

idahotrails

Oct 19, 2003
For winter riding here in Idaho (at the sand dunes) I turn the air screw in about 1/4 to 1/2 from where I like it in the summer (play with it until you find the sweet spot) and I lower the needle clip 1 notch (raising the needle to make it richer). If I feel ambitious I will go up one size on the main jet. I try to have a summer setting and a winter setting. I ride 95 degree days at up to 9000 feet in the summer and 40 degree days at 4000 feet in the winter. I don't believe the same jetting can work for those extremes. Once I found what works, its easy to just switch back and forth in spring and fall.

zurg

Feb 8, 2005
Thanks everyone. I found my answer, i did upgrade the main jet +15, the pilot +5, the air screw at 1 1/4 turn and raise the needle notch. Because i run more often in mid or high mid range the pilot jet is more important. With the 800 screws on the tire it feel more like summer on hard surface and it give me just the right dose of adrenaline that i am missing. By the way i run on atv's trails and it still illegal and yes i am from quebec city!

Junkie Zurg!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom