roostintally

Sep 6, 2004
Hey just got my first trail bike, 1999 KDX 220, I love it, it has a gnarley pipe on it and runs great, only thing is it seems to fall off on the top end alot. I was wondering if the jetting could be a problem and if so what should it be. I did remove the snorkle top on the airbox and this helped some. Also I am looking for a gas tank as I just saw that mine has a crack, if there is any imput on how to fix this or where I can get another reasonably priced I would appriciate the info. Thanks :ride:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
The 220 is ported for low end torque and is not known for it's top end performance. Jet it up right, (do searchs and read the link in the first post for jetting instructions) and it will work but no overrev, that's for sure.
Take that tank to your dealer and have them contact Kawasaki for a replacement. I just had my 1999 KDX220 tank replaced for free. Again, search on tank cracks and you will find how others have dealt with getting a free replacement.
Hope this helps.

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
Jetting

For proper jetting you need to consider altitude and temperature for air density. I've got a 2000 220 with a Gnarly pipe, turbine core 2 silencer, pro series reeds, and removed the top of the air box. I dropped the needle 1 position, went to 40 pilot jet and 140 main jet. It works out pretty good at low altitude (1500ft) above 80 degrees and at higher altitudes (7000) below 80 degrees. It's kind of a hit and miss depending on your particular riding conditions.

Eric

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
don't just remove the snorkel from the airbox.... you should remove the lid entirely or remove the snorkel and drill holes in the top... that snorkel hole is just too small.

bereal

Aug 31, 2004
Airbox

Unless your in a deep water situation, loose the whole lid. That is how the race 250's are set up! Makes the bike sound like a 250. Unfortunately it still doesn't completely perform like a 250!

Eric

Top Bottom