f7

Apr 23, 2004
I am new to this site just wanted to say hello.Also I have a question,I just bought a 1991 kx250 it's in great condition never raced and runs great.Only problem is that it is a hard starter,takes about 10 kicks to get it going from a cold engine.Once it is running it is fine,it has a 158 main jet in it and the air fuel screw is out 3 turns.Any advice would be great thanks.

B

biglou

What is your pilot jet size? Also, I'd go to 1-1/2 turns out on your airscrew. Turn the fuel on, choke on, kick it through slowly a couple times to prime the cylinder, then kick her like you mean it. See if that helps. BTW-I'm guessing you'll want about a 42 for pilot jet size. Good luck, tell us how it goes.

f7

Apr 23, 2004
Bullwinkle58 said:
What's up! This is my 1st post here as well.

To answer your question; check your compression. I bet your top end is worn.
Motor was just rebuilt before I bought it compression was checked and it was at 130 pounds.

f7

Apr 23, 2004
thanks biglou yes I do have a 42 for a pilot jet.I am replacing the carb intake boot as it was pretty dry rotted have to wait a few days for it to come in ,but I will try starting it like you said and see if it helps.Thanks again

Top Bottom