Jimmy Button bend bars and YZ400

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
G'day All,

I'm 5' 10" (shorter legs, longer torso) and have a YZ400 with stock bend Renthal bars in stock clamps. When I stand up I feel like I am crouched over too much and after an enduro (3-4 hours) I start to feel it in my lower back. Also, under hard braking or landing from a jump, I get the feeling that I'm being pulled (pushed?) over the bars.

If I swap to a higher bend like Renthal Jimmy Button, which has a rise of 85mm (standard is 56mm), is it going to be too much?

Thanks in advance.

MX221

Jul 21, 2000
Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure without trying a set. There are some bars in between what you are looking at though. The measurements you are talking about is rise. Look at height. The stock bend is 92mm the Buttons are 110mm. If I were you I would probably try a Carmichael, it is 99mm with a rise of 65mm. So it is taller and flatter.

Shane

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Don't forget to consider the sweep. Some tall bars have a lot of sweep, which ends up being worse for me than a shorter but straighter bar. The RC bar that Shane mentioned is one of the straightest bars I've found, and it is still a tall bar (go figure).

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i am also looking into bars at the moment (there is a post in the yz/kx/cr/rm section). the windam bend has a similar height to the RC bend but is slightly wider. i was also put off the button bend because they have a lot of sweep look on the renthal and protaper web sites, they have all the measurements you need (too many in fact!)

later

bruce

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
For me the Jimmy Button bars are great for sitting back on the bike trail riding , but because of the sweep they are uncomfortable in the attack position. I am 5 '11" on a 94 yz250.
When I had a 98 wr400 the stock felt great to me in the attack position with a triple clamp that I could move the bars forward on.
It is all going to be apples and oranges though because it is how you feel on the bike not anybody else.

you can buy a bunch of steel bars in differnt shapes relatively cheaply figure out the bend you like<although I doubt you find much more than manufacture stock bends> then buy your renthals and sell you steel bars to your buddies who bends their's

Top Bottom