cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
It's possible to jump on anything. The KDX is not a bad bike for jumps as long as it's not 50 footers. My suggestion would be to go to heavy springs in the forks. If you're going to jump regularly, I'd think about getting a bike better equiped to handle that.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I own a supercross track in my back yard and jump 50 footers. The important part is the landing slope. Jumping the kdx on to flat landings is very harsh. Once you get a gentle slope, ie the angle of descent matches the angle of the landing, the bike jumps effortlessly. I just made a ramp that had a 28 degree angle on it, 30 being the most a dirt bike should go, and the ramp was high as well. I took it the first time, a double with a gap of 30 feet, and got pitched up quite high and had a hard landing since my landing ramp is only about 10 degrees. I have since took some height of the ramp and made the angle 25 degrees. I have yet to take the jump since I want it to be completely dry before flinging myself over that again.

http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunity/tedskdx.msnw

Here are all the photos I have on line. The 35ft table top has been jumped with a 92 kdx with stock suspension and handled it quite nicely.

KDXTrreme

Oct 31, 2001
Mine jumped horribly until I set it up correctly. I got the right fork/shock springs for my weight (heavier) and set the sag the way I like it which is a little stiffer then most. I have no problem flying around the track and jumping all but the HUGE blind 90Ft. tabletop with consequences-of-much-pain at my local track. The bike would handle it, but not me...yet. I ride my buddies YZ250 and can tell you, an MX bike is set up WAY diffirently than the KDX. With a little work, your bike should be able to handle all but the extreme SX jumps. In stock form, you should be able to take on a few of the smaller jumps with no problems. It's all about landing correctly.

KDXTrreme

Oct 31, 2001
Here's another jumping pic. You can't really see the ground because the photo was cropped but it's quite a bit below me.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/i/highpassguy/kdvavgif.gif

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Ted...NICE track. If you don't mind, I'll be copying some of your jumps into my track. The old track is getting beat to the ground and it's time to rebuild.

Question. About how many truck loads (yards) of dirt did you need to make that track? Is that a clay/sand mix?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
:) First off, thanks for the compliments on the track. The several guys who come ride on it just can't appreciate the maintenance involved in keeping the small gravel rocks off corners and the jump faces flat/nonrutted. In the summer everything gets nice and hard.
When someone digs a ditch for plumbing in England they have to pay to bring it to a quarry and then the quarry is suppose to eventually put only the dirt back into the ground. So all the bricks, wire, glass, plastic is to be separated. All the truck loads for this track are based on a 40ft truck, not sure what the tonnage is. It took 24 to build the initial track and was a mixture of these building site loads and some farmers fertile soil. Then I hooked up with a new guy and his backhoe in which he delivers good dirt to me that he has dug. I have gotten about 12 loads or so from him.
Most of the dirt he has brought has been only dirt, meaning there was very litte rock in it. Mostly it has about 2% sand mixed in it naturally. He brought some pure clay once and that was bad since in the wet it ruts easily and in the dry it tends to crack. After a year some of those jumps are sorted out and still have the clay faces. Its that it just initially does not pack well. For my straights I had some silt brought in and it gets very rutty in the winter but in the summer I repeatedly have a tractor rototil it for me and man that is a dream riding in that stuff. Blast into it and lay the bike down, hammer the throttle, no end to traction. Builds really nice berms too.
The most important part about the ramps is not to build it and ride the hell out of it right away. I get the ramp angle I want and then start watering it. It turns muddy and then let that dry. Then water it again and dry. Now the ramp is almost concrete-like. For repairing rutted faces I put dirt in a wheel barrow and mix water in to a moldable form that is rather wet. Place in the rut, not forgetting to make the ramp wet too and then let dry for a couple of days, good as new. :yeehaw: Also I got all the dirt for FREE. :) man am I lucky. I also am thinking about having a day for guys who subscribe to DRN to come over to the track. Any KDXer's can attend :flame: .

The fork boots on the bike are from a company called Pro-line and some of their braces are even sold in the states with names like Pinto. Can't remember who sells them. I like these over seal saver because it covers the entire leg and completely protects the portion of tube going past the fork seals. They run about 20 bucks. Some one else in the forum has told us how to make our own boots.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom