jumping

DirtDomain

Sep 22, 2008
i was just wondering how to hit a jump right or how to make things a jump. cuz i was coming out of woods and i tried to jump into the road but i could never get it out of like 50 tries.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Need more details...

How big of a jump? How tall? How far?

How much run up to the jump? What conditions leading to the jump?

How fast are you trying? What gear? What point in the RPM range? Throttle position?

What is going wrong? Too short? Too far? Bike kicking sideways? Rear kicking up?

DirtDomain

Sep 22, 2008
it's not really a jump its just a ditch that i am trying to get air in. by the time i hit it im in 2nd probably with 1/4 throttle position and it's in grass and you go straight and then there is a little hill/bump that goes down about 2 feet (it goes at about a 45 degree angle) and then starts up the side of the ditch but it just seems that if i went faster that i would just do like a wheelie on to the road

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
To actually get air on something like that you'd probably need to preload the suspension (like a bunny-hop on a bicycle). More throttle and a farther forward riding position will help, too.

DirtDomain

Sep 22, 2008
so sitting more forward on the dirtbike i will be able to get some air. and what do you mean preload the suspension, like push down before i go up?

May 10, 2007
DirtDomain said:
so sitting more forward on the dirtbike i will be able to get some air. and what do you mean preload the suspension, like push down before i go up?

yep you use the suspension to help get the bike in the air.

DirtDomain

Sep 22, 2008
i kind of tried that but i am going to try and do it going faster and see what happens

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
DirtDomain said:
i kind of tried that but i am going to try and do it going faster and see what happens
After that it says, ride till you die
I hope you get back to us.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
DirtDomain said:
so sitting more forward on the dirtbike i will be able to get some air?
Earlier you said it seemed like the bike just wanted to wheelie, which means you were too far back already.

You should be moving around, especially back and forth on the bike. As you accelerate, you should be moving forward to compensate. As you brake you shoul be moving back to compensate. I suggested more throttle *AND* a more forward position.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Do not sit, stand up. Jumping sitting down is something that you should not do until you are comfortable with jumps.

DirtDomain

Sep 22, 2008
umm i don't think i can stand up because then it feels really weird to throttle and hit the jump

96yzdirty

Feb 23, 2008
You need to get over the fear or sitting and stand up! Bend your needs and hug the tank with your legs. Hit the jump and follow the natural flow of the jump. Keep the throtlle even while in the mid-powerband of the motor. Once in the air lean foward or back depending on how level the bike is. When landing use your legs as suspension.Good luck. Btw an easy way to perload is to be sitting while you hit the jump and stand right before launch.

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
If you arent used to jumping dont try to preload. Stay up in front of the bars until the bike is in the air, and you do really need to overcome the fear of standing. If you want to ride hard you are going to have to get used to standing.

bonitz

Aug 20, 2008
DirtDomain said:
umm i don't think i can stand up because then it feels really weird to throttle and hit the jump

Squeeze the bike with your legs. This will help you stay positioned on the bike, and keep it from kicking you up in the air sideways ;)

Oct 6, 2008
i wont to get sponsored on my yz 85cc but i do not now how i am 13 years old i am in begener a and after 3 more races i have to go to age sence i am going to age i wont traning...... cameron gaefcke #31

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
cameron gaefcke said:
i wont to get sponsored on my yz 85cc but i do not now how i am 13 years old i am in begener a and after 3 more races i have to go to age sence i am going to age i wont traning...... cameron gaefcke #31
Read this and post any related questions there:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=166770&highlight=sponsor

I have to warn you, though, if you aren't going to put any more effort into making your questions come across clearly then expect to get the same response from the people here that you would get from a letter to a company written similar to your post above.

Besides, this thread is about jumping technique.

DirtDomain

Sep 22, 2008
k thanks. i tried all the ways and im partially getting used to it but i think that i am going to have to go to real jumps to fully master standing up, thanks again

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…