Just another "my bike wont start" thread...

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
There is not supposed to be fuel in the crank cases, its extremely flooded. Stuck float, out of adjustment, or the float valve that should be replaced yearly? Turn it upside down, or draw it out all that excess fuel. I do not believe I would poke holes in a piston, unless the directions say to, wiseco does. If you ever get the jetting/carb sorted out, replace the silencer packing. What was the ring gap set to? What was the skirt clearance at? What was the bridge clearance set at? Vintage Bob
I will have to get back with you on the ring clearance and skirt clearance, have it wrote down but its in the garage, might be tomorrow morning.. As for the bridge clearance...never checked that.

Sooo that could be the problem then, there was atleast 2oz worth of fuel in the crankcase. Maybe more. I figured that was ok (new to 2 strokes).

When I stopped riding, I forgot to turn the gas off, and I also had the bike leaning against the wall at a slight angle (70 degree angle or so).

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The old didn't turn off the gas petcock trick? Nasty/dangerous habit, leaving it on that is. That will do it though. Its a wonder it even turned over? No blown gaskets? If it did, I suppose gas would be leaking out? Vintage Bob

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I didn't find any blown gaskets. The bike would turn over, just no atempt to start. I imagine if it did try and start I could have had some trouble.

What would be the best way to get the gas out. I had the top end off over night, that didn't help. I was thinking about putting it at TDC and pulling the carb/intake and using a hose stick it down the crankcase to suck it out.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You would need a pump for flammable liquids. The wet dry vac may make 1 heck of a new years explosion? Flip it upside down and slowly turn the crank till its empty. Mind the sparkplug wire does not ground out and spark! Vintage Bob

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
_JOE_ said:
Have you tried to push start it?

I haven't tried that. I have tried bump starting it with no luck.

Bob, trust me I have been through an experiance like that. My stepmom was in the garage filling up an air matress while me and my dad were filling up the bikes years ago on the same garage, heard a big BOOM!!

I was going to use a like a big turkey baster thing with a hose on it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Hahahaha, you said turkey baster! Inside joke, yeah that would work also. Happy New year, hope you go for a ride today? I have to pick up a zillion sheet metal screws, and find some apprentice to put them in. Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah Bob, it's snowin' like hell out here right now. I just need a bit of head work and a few zillion screws.........or a TTR. :yeehaw:
Did a bit of snow mound climbing with it yesterday... :ride:

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
"I was going to use a like a big turkey baster thing with a hose on it."

You might try a large syringe. You can find them at any animal feed store. I have one and use it from time to time...they are handy to have around.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Alrighty, brought the bike over to my dads house, he looked it over, put it on the stand, put throttle half way, 2 kicks and it fired right up :| . I was kicking the thing to the moon for the past 2 days, and he starts it in 2 kicks. He gave me some free chain lube and tranny oil so i can't complain :cool: .

Now it starts every 1st kick. Boy oh boy, what a trip. To make things better, on the way home from his house I ran out of gas in my truck :yell: :bang:

Finaly home now, but its too dang cold to ride, IMO.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nice job Dad! Put some latex gloves on, then your mx gloves. It got to almost 20 degrees here today, heatwave? Cold in Dade City??? No way! Is your bike running lean in the cooler weather? Check your plug, and fiddle with the jetting. Hope you do not have to have Dad start it anymore for you. I would sure rub it in on my offspring. Vintage Bob

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Nice job Dad! Put some latex gloves on, then your mx gloves. It got to almost 20 degrees here today, heatwave? Cold in Dade City??? No way! Is your bike running lean in the cooler weather? Check your plug, and fiddle with the jetting. Hope you do not have to have Dad start it anymore for you. I would sure rub it in on my offspring. Vintage Bob

Dad will for sure not ever let it down, I already know my friends will know about it, and I am sure his friends as well. But then again, thats why they are here, dads can fix damn near anything...except for computers. :nener: then they need us kids.

He had a couple 2 smokes back in the day, and according to my mom, he use to race a while back. I think I might have pops jet the bike, and teach me at the same time.

And Dade City is plenty cold to me :fft: :) , never seen snow, so when it hits 35F im freezing.

I need a new exhaust seal, and some new springs. Service Honda a good website? Or should I try local (if they even stock the stuff). Also, the Sunoco close to be carries 100 octane, any reason to try it??

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Service is the cheapest. Unless its detonating/high compression is the only time to need high octane fuel. 93 is about normal. Go to a busy station, run some through to clear out what was left, and hope their tank is not real leaky. If you can get it from an above ground source, much better. Throttle response. Good engine, jetted, clean fuel is all you need. What ratio oil are you running? Vintage Bob

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Service is the cheapest. Unless its detonating/high compression is the only time to need high octane fuel. 93 is about normal. Go to a busy station, run some through to clear out what was left, and hope their tank is not real leaky. If you can get it from an above ground source, much better. Throttle response. Good engine, jetted, clean fuel is all you need. What ratio oil are you running? Vintage Bob

Castor 927 with 91 at 32:1 Dang stuff is $10 per 16oz bottle around here :yell: . I can order some jets, but I need to know what sizes to get. That might make it a little easier for the old man, since I will have the stuff on hand.

I also love cheap tricks yall mention. If I remember right, chainsaw bar oil can be used as filter oil correct?? How about cleaning a filter? Some say diesel (sorta scares me), and some say dish soap in a bucket.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Brandon H. said:
I also love cheap tricks yall mention. If I remember right, chainsaw bar oil can be used as filter oil correct?? How about cleaning a filter? Some say diesel (sorta scares me), and some say dish soap in a bucket.
I have never heard of that one, and never would try it. I like the no-toil products. Order the jets from JD jetting, he knows what you're bike needs. Plenty of places online to order 927 cheap, get it by the gallon. If you start really hammering that 125, you might consider running 25:1. Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, I'd stick with a good quality filter oil. If you have a decent dealership with good parts guys you shouldn't have any trouble getting the jets you'll need. Ask them if you can return the ones you don't need once you're done jetting, just keep a size or two either way to allow some fine tuning for temperature. The JD kits are nice and will come with a needle as well.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Man this thing is blast, very easy to ride. Power on the top is insane. Pulled the plug, she is pretty rich but thats ok by me :cool:.

I will get the No-Toil air filter cleaner and oil then. I spent a decent amount to do a top end, and the last thing I want to do is get ANY dirt/sand in the motor.

As for jetting, there is a Cahills about 15 miles away. My buddy Sean Ridgeway works there, he might be able to hook me up on returning unused jets, or exchange them out for some premix. I also need a hour meter, one thats sorta cheap.

I am also wondering. I know Castor oils like to seperate at cold temps. I would like to choose a oil I like and stick with it, and jet with that. I want a sythetic oil, something that..

A. Is dyed so I know its premix and not straight gas
B. Is synthetic
C. Good lubrication (and a good smell is a plus :whoa: )
D. Is somewhat clean

So its not really a "whats the best oil" question, but whats best for me.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
All the oem oils are fine. The HP and Maxima synthetic come to the top of my list, for reasonable oil. That was a 2 ring piston you put in? Vintage Bob
It was a single ring piston, I didn't even know 125's had 2 ring pistons.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am pretty sure I have a 125 piston with 2 rings. Then there are the "race/performance pistons with 1 ring? And of course, a shorter ring life with 1 ring. Do you think most people could tell the difference in the hp loss? I do not. They do not even notice the loss after 5 hours or so, when the ring goes out of spec! Vintage Bob

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Well i just got a service manual, should help some. I need to find out what size the exhaust springs are, I ordered a set from Rockymountianatvmc.com, they were 80mm and said they would fit a 2000 CR125. There is no way, atleast not with this Pro Circuit pipe. They would need to be stretched over an inch to fit, and they are crazy strong springs.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Bigger vise grips! Some can be loads of skinned up knuckles of fun. Be glad you do not have a cylinder with big sharp fins every 1/4 inch! Ouch. Water coolers do have good points I suppose. Vintage Bob

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
a simple way to pull exhaust sprigs is with a old clutch cable. just put the cable on the sring and pull it with some pliers... take care to not let the pliers slip or you may hurt your hand.

Top Bottom