Just back form injury. Keep the 250f or get a 250 2T?

Timmay#678

Aug 29, 2007
Just back from injury. Keep the 250f or get a 250 2T?

Hi all, I'm really at 2 minds what to do at the minute, keep the easy to ride 250f or get a 250 2T!

Anyhow, I'll fill out the BS firstly:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
height 5'10', weight 11.5 stone (161 lbs)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Smooth enough rider for mx, but I do throw the bike around and be aggressive if need be (ie when racing flatout)
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mainly mx tracks, but a few Hare scrambles (3hr races)
4) Do you have any riding experience?
yep, only started out at the begining of 07, but I was on an mx track 3 times a wk for pretty much every wk of the summer
5) Do you think you will race ?
have done and will still continue
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yep, I do everything except things like spiltting a 2T case and changing a 4T piston.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
2t or 4t, Thats what I need to know :cool: brand: Currently Yam, but the colour doesnt really bother me!
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I can sourse parts for any of the 4japs without a prob. I have stuck with yams and hondas till now and have being very happy with getting parts from oem shops like yam of troy which are cheap.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
€2000-3000
10) Do you live in California? hell no :nener:
11) Your age? 22
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I raced a yz125 last year, had great fun on it but as soon as I got a spin on a yz250f and found out how much faster I was on it I had to get one. Sure enough I got a mint 07 yz250f and I was getting on great with it until 5wks ago when I got a massive tankslapper and broke my arm. This was just before the championship started here (which I had a reasonable shot at :bang: ), I've now missed 2rounds of that so my season is messed up fully. I'm doing mx on a shoestring budget and am always afraid of the 250f going bang, which would end the season there and then for me, I simply woundn't have 2k to rebuild it! However I do cheak the valve clearances the whole time and slapped a piston in at 60hrs.

So now I'm thinking of selling her and getting a 250 2T! I've never being on one but plan on getting a spin before I get one. Am I mad to be doing this? I don't really care if I'm abit slower, I'll get another 250f next yr and give the championship another shot anyway. Am I going to be asking for more injury on it? I also plan on doing a few hare scrambles (3hr closed course enduros), for which a 2T is way better than a 250f.

Some lad offered me a good deal to trade in his 04 kx250 for my 07 yz250f. The extra money I'll get for the trade in doesn't bother me much, but am I taking a step backwords and asking for trouble getting an older bike that wont handle as well as mine and will be way tougher to ride? Or will it benefit me for next season, and make me a faster stronger rider who can handle the power of a 250f better then?

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's always potentially very expensive to race a 250 4t. I think the main difference is how the power comes on. The 2t comes on much quicker and a fair bit stronger. They tend to be much snappier. Most guys off-road racing them add flywheel weights which smooth the power out. I went from an 02 rm250 to my current crf250 and the power was much more manageable. The rm had stock flywheel and all the bolt-ons like pipe, shorty silencer and reeds. It was very high strung. I am a much better rider on the crf. However, I will not be buying another 4t once I'm done with this one. The maintenance and rate of engine wear are high. I recreatonal ride so cost is a factor. I thought the little motor would hold up better. The handling of the little thumper is fantastic though. Feels more like a bmx bike than a motorcycle. My confidence in my riding ability is much higher than ever before. Now that I have completely messed with your head I'll tell you I plan to move to a KTM200 for my next bike.

Timmay#678

Aug 29, 2007
Hmm, a lot of lads have said good things about the 200cc ktm, but they are rare enough here. I definately want to go back 2T, I know the 250f is the perfect bike from a handling/preformance view for me, but its useless for hare scrambles and they loose a stupid amount of money every year, as well as the risk of a big blowup. I've considered getting another yz125 and boring it out as big as I can go, But I think I'm wasting my time with that, I might as well go with a 250 2t. (a 125 is a pain in the ass in the wet Irish weather!)

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
I have a 01 YZ 250. Having never rode a 250 4-Stroke, I cant give you a direct comparison, but I do have a 125 2-Stroke as well. It makes literally at least twice the TQ down low of the 125. And it hits HARD on the mid range, and pulls smooth with plenty of over-rev. Its more power than I could ever really need (But there is always that desire for me to have a 500 2-T)

Im 5'7", 155lbs, and I fit much better on a 125 sized, or KTM 200, bike than I do on my YZ 250. However, to ride it, the bike DOES NOT feel huge. Its actually pretty easy for me to handle around. My only problem with the bike is not really being tall enough to be able to kick it well. I usually just lean it against a tree if I stalled it out and then try getting her started back up. And I literally CAN NOT start a 450 4-Stroke.

As for traction and being a faster rider, I feel faster all around on my 250 except in the really tight trails. If I was taller Id probably be faster here too ... The power delivery is awesome. If you need to whip the back end around you slide up on the tank a bit. It you need to get traction to wheelie over an obstacle, you slide back and do wheelies in 4th and even 5th gear with my skinny ass on it ...

Hope that was of some help to you ...

Top Bottom