DrStrangelove

Jul 24, 2004
<this is an excerpt from my "greetings" intro post that makes sense for this forum, too.>

**You will note that aside from my asking for advice, that I have a soft spot for Yamaha and will most likely buy from this manufacturer**

Please read and I welcome all suggestions.

Hello, all! Glad to be on-board. I have to tell you right off the bat, my reasons for joining are initially selfish (although I do take part in many forums that coincide with various hobbies).

You see, I'm 34 years old and have been on a bike since I was 9 years old. First bike was a Yamaha GT80 then off to a YZ-- then a 125. Stopped riding in high school when I was 16 years old-- not enough track and too many police stops in my neighborhood on the way to tearing up some unsuspecting citizen's property. Nevertheless, my dirtbike days were put to rest and I didn't get back on a bike until I was 19.

At 19, I went immediately into street bikes. A brand new Ninja 1000 and a rebuilt HD (AMC) Sportster (junk). Since then I've been through three more Harley's and currently own 2 Yamahas-- an R1 and an FZ1. Recently, my wife and I had a baby (now 14 months old) and we both agree that it may be time to put the R1 out to pasture. The FZ1, by the way, stays-- you'd have a better shot taking my left kidney than getting me to sell this bike.

Nevertheless, we've both decided (my wife rides, too-- Bandit 600) to reintroduce dirt bikes into our lives and to hopefully share the sport with our daughter as she grows up-- I can't wait to buy her a PW50.

Anyway, back to the point of my joining. My choice for the first bike for my daughter (when the time comes 3-4 yrs old) is easy-- the choice for myself is not so easy. I've got to determine if I want to go back to 2 stroke or go the way of 4. I've got to determine if I want true moto (YZ) or perhaps the off-road enduro style WR bikes. While I'm a power monger (as can be seen by my choice of street bikes), I have to choose something that makes sense for me and my skills-- I haven't ridden dirt/track in over 15 years AND I'm 5'7"== 5'8" on a day where I'm feeling extra tall.

My gut tells me that the WR450F is the way to go, but I have to tell you, I am a little concerned with my abilities. I think the 450 is actually an inch shorter than the 250, but you know the power... anyway. Also, I don't want to buy something that in a year I'll wish I had more power.

So, as I said, at first my joining is exploitative-- I'm actually hoping to use my registration as an educational tool for helping me to choose a best bike to re-enter (and grow) with. Hopefully some here can lend some insight experience. I welcome all responding posts and well as personal responses directly to my email.

Thanks a million,
DocS

Top Bottom