Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
I recently purchased my 03 RM 250, and was wondering if anyone knows how to tell if the engine is in fact on 03? I ran the VIN number for the chassis and everything is fine there, but i cant seem to find anywhere to run the serial number off the motor. I have a feeling that someone may have swapped the motor in this bike and never mentioned it. I talked to the Suzuki dealer in my area, and he mentioned that it should be 5 speed, the person i bought this bike from claimed it was a 4 speed. Is there a place that i can run the motor serial to give me any information?

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
Not sure what part of that came off as funny, but if you would like to consider it a joke, then by all means have at it. Who am i to stand in the way of one mans happiness. I thought it to be a legitimate question, which obviously you cant answer. Thanks for your input though.

kboy said:
is this a joke?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You should be able to have the Suzuki dealer check it out.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Hmmm, that's odd. I guess I can't be of much help to you then. It's possible that the previous owner may have modified the engine and transmission. There are a lot of RM owners in here, hopefully someone can shed light on this for you.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
All RM250's come as a 5 speed (regardless of year). Just curious - why would anyone turn their five speed into a four speed?

If there is any logic to it, it escapes me. :bang:

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
Thats what I thought. But then i havent owned a newer model before, so i just figured he must have been right. As soon as the weather gets better Im going to take it out and see whats what. Could be that something is bent and just not allowing 5th gear. I would still like to look up the serial for the motor, just for that sake of doing so. I had it up on the stand and i couldnt get 5th, if its actually there. Either way the snow is to deep and its to darn cold outside to mess with it now. :coocoo:

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Do you have the service manual? In the Clymer ones, the serial number for the frame and engine should be listed along with the years it belongs to.

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
No i dont, wish i did though. I picked up one of the CDs off ****. It has everything i need, but that information.

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Is there a reason or are you just wondering? If you think the owner swapped out the shocks and forks and did something to the engine it might have been better for you to have waited before buying because you could have haggled the price lower or bought a different bike (a mistake Ive made a couple times :|).

Anyway, I think Suzuki makes their own stuff so I dont think the bike should have aftermarket suspension on it unless the previous ower opted for it and bought that. The service manual should tell you the part number and you could probably check the part number on your bike to make sure.

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
To be honost, Im just not that familiar with Suzuki. I just found myself wanting to know whats on this bike now. As for the engine, i started getting suspicious after the guy told me it was only a 4 speed. Something just didnt set right. I got a great deal on the bike so im not to awfully worried about it, but it would be nice to know. I was reading the 2003 RM 250 writeup in Dirt Rider Magazine, and they mentioned Kayaba suspension. Guess i will just go with that.

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Oh, i thought they would have had Showa's but I didnt say it cause I wasnt sure. I thought Kawasaki's used Kayaba's and then Suzuki started using them after the companies merged. Im probably wrong though, as suspension is not really something Im into so I dont look into it (I dont even know whats on my bikes right now suspension-wise).

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
Probably doesnt even really matter, its not like Im an expert rider that would notice differences. It would be good to know when it comes time for parts though, if one plans on doing the work himself.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Maverick,

Post the VIN and engine numbers here, some one else might be able to decode them. How much did you pay fpr the bike? What mods did the previous owner say he did to it? Have you tried shifting it, and if so, did it only move 4 times. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you do know the gear pattern is 1 down, 4 up?

Here is a pretty good Suzuki web page and a few VIN sites. I have a 2003 RM250, it's completely stock. I can email you pics of my engine, if that will help?

Hope this helps, Steve.

http://suzukicycles.org/_misc/identification.shtml

http://suzukicycles.org/photos/identification/FRAMELIST_1200-pix-wide.jpg

http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgivin.exe?Mode=Decode&VIN=JS1RJ16A6P2101661&Submit=Decode

http://auto.consumerguide.com/product/vhr/index.cfm/act/freereport/partner/cg

http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/gatewayAction.do?&_209=8&_414=0040252696qIa2P8GKuAS7AmY1GDud

Last edited:

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
I see you too know about the "Suzuki Pages" (suzukicycles.org)... thats such a cool website :) . Its like going in a time machine from the beginning of Suzuki's motorcycle manufacturing to now.

Post the VIN and engine serial up here - someone might be able to give you an answer about that.

Also, shifting with the engine off isnt an accurate way to tell the amount of gears a bike has. With the engine off on my Honda, I cant shift into neutral without shifting into first, neutral, back down to first, and up to neutral. Basically what Im saying is unless you couldnt 5th with the engine on then you have a reason to be concerned.

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
snb73,

Thanks for chiming in. I paid 2650 for the bike. Yes i did know that its 1 down the rest up. Thats pretty much been the standard since i can remember. I didnt take it the wrong way :) . I put it up on the stand, cranked it up and went through the gears. There are 5, wonder what that guy was thinking. The motor serial number is J119-112108. The VIN is JS1RJ18C632101619.

Thanks for the links to those sites. Great information on those sites. While i was searching for answers to some of my questions, i stumbled across this:

www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2003/Suzuki/RM250/Default.htm

Check it out, its a very detailed write up on the 03 RM 250. It actually goes into detail about the changes Suzuki made to the 2003. Im impressed.

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
Thanks acanz, i did put it up on the stand last night and cranked it up. It is 5 gears. Thanks for the tips. Everyone here is very helpful. Its appreciated.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Maverik,

Gald it worked out for you. Sounds like you got a good deal on the bike. My engine# is J119-110546. Sounds like you have an RM-250 engine in there.

If it stops snowing here, I might be able to take mine to the track. I bought it Superbowl Sunday and haven't had a chance to ride it.

Steve

Maverik

Feb 22, 2005
Thanks snb, i cant wait to ride either. If i didnt think i would kill myself, i would take it out in the snow and ice. Man i just cant wait any longer for winter to end.

Top Bottom