Just finished KX fork install!!!

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Okay, let me get this straight, I have 94 KX 125 forks on my 98 KDX 200 right now. I have the kdx brake assembly on it though. I routed my line where it goes down underneath the fork and then it goes straight up the fork to the handlebars. I have the brake line clamped on the bottom protion of the fork (just beneath the plastic fork protector. And I have the guide underneath the fork, and I have a guide up by the numberplate. What I dont have is the Plastic fork protector guide that goes on the outer tube of the fork. I know from my last set of KX forks that the brake line slips into that guide. Do I need that guide to keep my KDX brake line from getting caught in the wheel? I have not gotten to ride my bike since I put the 94 KX 125 forks on, so I do not know. Please let me know so I can figure out if I need to buy those plastic fork protector guides. Thanks

Ben

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Thanks FLBusa for posting pics of your spacers. This confirms what I thought, I've been working with the wrong spacers...

Skipro, sounds like you had lots of experience! I'll start with the new spacers and then tackle all your points if the wheel isn't dead center.

Grinch,

I changed the forks for two reasons:

1st and foremost: I needed a winter project to keep me from going crazy..too much snow here... I hate snowmobile... too easy.

2) Yes, I found the kdx forks way way to soft. For the first time in my life, I thought I was riding a pogo/yoyo stick during my first harescramble over rough terrain with many whoops. My XR600 floated over the same type of terrain.

FLBusa

May 29, 2003

Ben...

That part (13070-1277) is 11 bucks at www.RonAyers.com.

Looks like cheap insurance to me. :thumb:

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
johnkdx220 said:
Thanks FLBusa for posting pics of your spacers. This confirms what I thought, I've been working with the wrong spacers...

I did some checking and I believe that the spacers you need are 20mm long. Both the left and right sides use the same spacer. You can confirm this by installing the wheel without the spacers and measuring the gap. Of course that's assuming that the wheel is the same year as the forks. IMO... you may want to do a bit more research before going out and buying some spacers that don't work any better than what you already have.

Oh... I have a set of spacers that came with my wheel. I'll check what size they are and if you think they'll work I'll send them out to you.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
FLBusa,

Thanks all your help and the offer to send me some spacers but that won't be necessary. Actually, I received the 20mm wide spacers today and the wheel now fits perfectly (5$ a piece, cheap). :yeehaw:

The KDX bike is a great bike and the community of KDXers is equally great, thanks to people like you. :thumb:

FLBusa

May 29, 2003

John,

You are most welcome. :)

I got my KX500 front brake line and will be installing it tonight. I opted not to order the sheetmetal clamp/guides that mount to the caliper so we'll see how that goes. I may have to order those as well but I don't see any real need for them at this point.

One other point I'd like to make to those doing this mod...

The KDX stem is about 0.055" smaller in diameter up at the top than the KX. You'll also need to install a shim to make up the difference. I decided to turn a sleeve on the lathe for mine. the dimensions for the sleeve is .980" OD x .925" ID x .785 long. If you don't have access to a lathe you can use a peice of 0.025" thick shim stock cut 2.80" long x .785" wide and bend it into a "C" shape. That will ensure that the top triple tree won't move around when under a load. I'll post some pic's later. :thumb:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…