Just getting back into the sport

DeeziDennis

Oct 29, 2002
Well. I used to ride just for fun in the woods and fields here in Mo and ILL. I got a little older and kinda set the bike off to the side and left it be. In the meantime I grew up got married and started settleing down.

I pulled the old bike out and decided to get it running again and I was happy when it did. My wife may not have been. ;) I decided that the bike was to small for a grown man of my .......Um......Weight. 250#'s

I started looking for a decent mid 80's trail bike to put around with my buddy and his son. After a few weeks worth of searching I found a Super clean 1983 Yamaha It 490. This thing was cherry.
all plastic perfect, no mods, Strictly a stock bike. With brand new Metzlers front and rear.

Well against most of my friends wishes I went ahead and got it. They said it was too high strung for a trail bike and would be to tuff to handle. The bike is a little heavy buit other than that its Really nice. Funny how they make excuses to come over so they can ride it. :)

Needs a new chain and sprockets with more teeth to gear it down a little but for now I can tool around super easy with all the tourqe the big motor has.

But....... if you get into the pipe you better be sitting on the gas tank cause it has the wheel off the ground through 4th. It might of done it through 5th but I chickend out. I bought the bike for a weekend warrior too get me off my duff and not for a drag bike. Although it'll be nice to whoop someone in the straights.

Seems I may have gotten one of the good ones since some of the 490s had issues, unless that was just the YZ's. It starts by the 3rd kick and thats in 45-50 deg weather here.

I know its a big bike to handle but I love it. My wife now wants the little bike I grew up with running so she can ride it with us.

I think thats great.

Any thoughts on my bike? Be nice. :debil:

Any thoughts on what I should do to prepare for getting back into riding? I already bought a super nice full faced helmet, gloves and a good set of goggles. Boots are on my list but I need to gather up the cash for them.

Thanks for listening to my rant but i really am excited about getting back into riding.

pat567

Oct 26, 2002
we'll I've heard and read that the yz490 vibrates alot. try not to grab a hand full of throttle.get the BOOTS and KNEE PADS NOW. make sure you have a new front tire . take it easy at first til you get seat time have fun

DeeziDennis

Oct 29, 2002
Its actually a IT and not a yz. It doesnt vibrate all that much.

I know it has a heavyier flywheel than the Yz so that may help me out a bit.

Anyone know where to get a decent price ona chain kit?
I want to step down my gearing.

Thanks

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…